For a full position description, more information on our church, and TO APPLY, please visit search.nscbc.org. *The application process must start via our search website.* Thank you!
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Focus: The goal of this new position is to help NSCBC to develop and implement a vision for Christian Discipleship in our church. We want to be a people whose hearts are formed by the Good News that God has saved us, by
grace, through faith in Christ, and we want that Good News to transform us individually and corporately as we seek to bring all aspects of life into alignment with our new identity in Christ. The Gospel changes everything. All theology is practical. Therefore,
Christians should be able to connect their faith with the everyday realities of life. We need a rich understanding of what God has revealed in his Word and a rich understanding of those we’re trying to reach on the North Shore. We want to be able to give
the Bible’s answers to the questions people are asking, in language they can understand, with arguments they can feel the weight of. Hence, we are seeking an Associate Pastor of Discipleship who will equip people for missional living.
The following is a description of the kind of candidate we seek, while recognizing that all believers are both justified and sinners. The candidate we seek will not be perfect, but will be able to point clearly to a perfect Savior.
- Demonstrates a deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ evidenced in daily life and exhibits the character qualities outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter 5:1-4.
- Seeks and promotes prayer as a priority, both personally and in the life of the church.
- Reflects the heart of a spiritual and servant leader.
- Exhibits personal qualities marked by integrity and unquestionable honesty.
- Earnestly seeks God’s will above all other possible motivations.
- Exhibits emotional health and maturity, is willing to acknowledge limitations and depends upon God each day for His grace.
- Reflects a balanced personal life, which provides for spiritual, physical, and emotional growth for self and family.
- Is knowledgeable and supportive of our elder-governing, policy-based governance model.
- Promotes a spirit of cooperation and fellowship within the church body.
- Demonstrates a passionate, heartfelt love for people who need Jesus and a Christ-like concern for their spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Exhibits Christ’s love by developing positive and encouraging relationships within the church body.
Characteristics and abilities
- Gifted in leadership, administration, implementing vision and mobilizing the church. , Is able to manage multiple ministries, events, and issues concurrently from start to finish.
- Is able to interpret and apply Scripture practically and pastorally to all areas of life. Understands the concept of “theological vision.”
- Is highly relational in working with leaders and members/attenders. Communicates effectively with all ages inside and outside the church.
- Understands what it takes to change the culture of an organization.
- Is a team builder and a team player, both self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- Has experience with ministry in a post-Christian or missionary context.
- In conjunction with senior pastor, develop and implement a holistic vision for discipleship in the life of the church to ensure people are growing as disciples in Christ, understanding scripture, applying the gospel to every area of life, and sharing their
- Provide oversight to and leadership development for discipleship ministries:
- Adult education (Director of Adult Education)
- Small groups (Small Group Leadership Team)
- The “Connect” ministry (assimilation team)
- Children’s ministries (Director of Children’s Ministries)
- Youth ministry (Middle and High School leadership)
- College ministry (college leadership)
- Pastoral Care (visitation team)
- Pastoral Ministry (counseling, hospital visitation, weddings, and funerals as needed).
- Develop and implement a strategy to help each person find his/her place of ministry by identifying gifts, abilities, passions, experiences, and personality.
- Intentionally develop emotional maturity and health in the congregation, recognizing this as a key part of spiritual growth.
- Participate in worship services including occasional preaching as requested by the Senior Pastor.
- Have a collegial partnership with our Senior Pastor and other staff members.
- 3-5+ years experience as a Discipleship Pastor or related.
- Experienced with shaping discipleship ministry in the local church, particularly in a post-Christian or missionary context.
- Service in a multi-staff congregation preferred.
Bachelor’s degree and seminary degree required.