Cowboy Church of Brenham Lead Pastor Job Description
Overall Responsibility: The Lead Pastor of The Cowboy Church of Brenham is responsible to the Lord Jesus Christ, and accountable to the elders, staff, and church body,
to shepherd, manage and lead the church to fulfill the mission. The mission of the Cowboy Church of Brenham is to reach the lost and unchurched people in the western culture with the gospel of Jesus Christ and provide a church home where they can become
more like Him.
1. Communicating The Gospel, The Mission & the Vision
- Prepare and Deliver gospel centered, biblical, culturally relevant Messages that appeal to both those not yet following Jesus as well as those who are.
- Prayerfully and intentionally keep the church focused on fulfilling the mission & vision in any and all ministries, emphases, and events.
- Working with appropriate staff or teams to see that the mission & vision permeates the communications of the church –publications, publicity materials, signage, and other communications.
- Connect with the Greater Brenham community in ways that communicates the vision of the church to the community.
- Be Active in the Greater Brenham Community, and particularly in those areas that relate to the cowboy church culture and target audience.
2. Leading the church to fulfill the purpose of Worship
- Encourage and Work with the Worship Team to promote, plan for, and lead the Worship services
- As needed and as led by the Holy Spirit teach on worship
- Personally or working with appropriate staff, leaders, and teams to promote worship at the small group level and personal worship of the members
3. Leading the church to fulfill the purpose of Evangelism
- Personally be involved in relational evangelism as a model to the church.
- Teach and encourage every member to be involved in relational evangelism in the way that God leads them.
- Preach in such a way that members are excited to bring unsaved friends and family whom they are investing in and inviting…making the church a safe place with a dangerous message for not yet Christ followers.
- Personally or through the appropriate staff, leaders, or teams-lead the small groups to share together in prayer for, investing in, and inviting people to come to know Christ.
- Lead the church in connecting its community ministry to sharing the gospel through the appropriate follow up and intentionality.
- Lead the marketing of the church to the unsaved world in a way that is God honoring, appealing to the felt needs of the lost world, and is done with gentleness and respect as well as relevant to the Cowboy Culture.
4. Leading the church to fulfill the purpose of Discipleship
- Personally be involved in discipling relationships and calling, equipping, and deploying all members and attenders to be involved in discipling relationships.
- Personally and/or through the appropriate Staff, Leaders, and Teams-Enlisting, equipping, and developing small group leadership as well as ministry leadership
- Working with the Executive Pastor and appropriate leadership and any appropriate teams to encourage the stewardship of God’s resources entrusted to the church.
- Take direct pastoral responsibility for the spiritual health and development of the vocational and lay staff and encouraging them in ministries they lead.
5. Leading the church to fulfill the purpose of Fellowship
- Personally be involved in quality relationships and a small group.
- Work with elders and staff to encourage attenders to take next steps and move forward in their growth
- Work with appropriate Staff, Leaders, and Teams to encourage authentic ‘doing life together’ through Round Pen Groups (what happens between meetings as important as the meetings)
- Practice and promote biblical peacemaking and reconciliation principles when needed.
6. Leading the Church to fulfill the purpose of Service.
- Personally Participate in and model care ministry of the church for those in need.
- Develop, implement and encourage a system of care ministry through the small groups of the church- Pastoring people 5-15 at a time through small groups.
- Providing/overseeing initial pastoral counseling for those in need, and then connecting to referral for further professional biblical counseling services.
- Cultivate a church culture that encourages creative ways for each person to use their gifts to help advance the mission of the church
- Teaching and equipping others in a way that is consistent with Ephesians 4:11-12 where the entire church is used to do the work of the ministry
- Leading and Encouraging the small groups to minister to the community.
- Promote that each member of the body have 1 ministry in the church and 1 ministry outside the church.
Personal Character and Behavior Responsibilities
- Lead and Love your family well
- Practice regular time with God in Prayer and study to keep your faith growing
- Steward your personal finances in a biblical manner beginning with, but not limited to, the tithe
- Maintain balance by observing time off, vacation, and pacing that indicate reliance on God rather than mere human effort that leads to burnout
- Be accountable to other men who help you in your personal life and to lead the flock well
- Be honest and transparent in all relationships and communication