Our Context: Grace Baptist Church is a multi-generational congregation of 300 growing and worshipping together on the east side of Salem, Oregon, the state’s capital city. Grace Baptist Church exists to reach out to the community, build
up believers in their faith, and equip workers to reach their peers for Christ’s kingdom.
Purpose: To be God’s faithful undershepherd at Grace Baptist Church, guiding people to a saving relationship with Christ, building believers up in their faith, and nurturing in them a strong desire to serve Christ all of their lives.
The Senior Pastor will:
- Have complete oversight over all ministries of the church.
- Preach the Word faithfully each week.
- Plan weekly services in coordination with the other staff.
- Develop all programs for ministry in conjunction with the priorities and philosophy of Grace Baptist Church, which include reaching, building and equipping priorities.
- Coordinate staff plans and activities to ensure harmony and effectiveness throughout the church.
- Assess, evaluate, and develop the organizational structure and plans for all areas of ministry.
- Develop annual ministry goals and the budget for the church in conjunction with the Deacons.
- Work on development of job descriptions for staff, ministry workers and leaders, as needed.
- Hold weekly meetings with staff.
- Meet regularly with Ministry Teams, Deacon Board and Elders.
- Oversee and coordinate activities during special church events.
- Officiate at weddings and funerals, as needed.
- Participate in all church-wide corporate outreach events.
Primary Working Relationships
The Senior Pastor will:
- Work directly with and lead the Elders in developing and implementing the spiritual direction for the church.
- Work with church staff and Deacons to fulfill the mission of Grace Baptist Church.
- Be accountable to the Lord and the congregation.
Qualifications of a Strong Candidate
A strong candidate for the Senior Pastor with possess these qualities and traits:
- Be a godly man.
- Be a man of integrity
- Be a team player who has the ability to work with others and accepts new ideas.
- Be a team builder who leads by preparing people to take responsibility.
- Be a servant leader.
- Be an encourager.
- Be family oriented, having a priority for his family relationships and the church families.
- Be a seminary graduate (preferred).
- Have prior experience as a Pastor (or at least six years in a pastoral role).
- Have experience supporting all ministry age groups in the church.
- Possess strong preaching/communication skills.
- Be in concurrence with the vision statement and declaration of faith of Grace Baptist Church and the identity document of CB Northwest (http://www.gbcsalem.org/beliefs/ and http://www.cbnw.org/about/).
- Have a heart for evangelism and missions, both locally and globally.
- Be focused on developing mature believers within the church.
- Have a vision and heart for adult ministries.
- Have a strong personal walk and devotional life with the Lord.
- Be a prayer warrior.
- Be committed to continuous spiritual growth in his own life.
- Be compassionate.
- Model faith and trust in God.
- Demonstrate Christ-like character.
- Be hospitable, friendly and approachable, with a heart for God’s people.
- Be teachable and adaptable.
- Be a good listener.
- Have a shepherd’s heart.
- Be a conscientious and faithful interpreter of the scripture.
Terms: This position is full time (1.00 FTE) position. Salary is commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and the experience of the candidate. Benefits are included. A background check is required.
How to Apply: Candidates wishing to apply should submit a letter of introduction (not to exceed one page), a current resume, and a list of three references to Kevin Mueller, Chairman of the Search Committee, via email only (we are not accepting
paper applications) at email@example.com. Please use Word or PDF format. Be sure to include accurate contact information including phone and email.