POSITION DESCRIPTION — DIRECTOR OF ADULT MINISTRIES
Ministry Position: Director of Adult Ministries
Accountability: Reports to Executive Associate Pastor
Ministry Responsibilities Summary:
Develop teams who will plan programs, create environments and systems and provide resources to help every person at Trinity take the next steps towards becoming a disciple fully alive in Christ. This will include developing intentional pathways that build
meaningful relationships and create opportunities to learn and serve. It will also mean developing opportunities based on age and stage of life and Christian maturity for individual, small group and large group learning, service and witness. The Director will
help adult disciples at Trinity grow both in number and in the depth of their spiritual walk.
The adult ministries teams include Classes/Seminars/Workshops, Women’s Ministries, Men’s Ministries, Marriage Matters, Small Groups, The Gathering Place/Equipping and Evangelism.
- Build teams and disciple team leaders
- Supported by the Executive Associate Pastor, build and develop teams of people to create and sustain systems that support and encourage the adult ministries to live out Trinity’s stated core values and initiatives, with emphasis in creating life-giving
communities and sharing the faith with others (passing the baton).
- Provide on-going support, coaching, vision, and direction to Ministry Team Chairs through meetings as needed. Also meet with adult ministry elders as needed.
- Bring strategy, vision, organization and intentionality to the adult ministries.
- Support and assist the Small Group Coordinator to regularly train, encourage and acknowledge small group leaders. Assist in identifying curriculum as needed.
- Create a well-defined curriculum with tracks to help adults grow in their knowledge and application of God’s Word to their lives.
- Develop a fully integrated system of learning opportunities for adults in order to help them passionately love God, hunger for God’s Word, pursue God’s call (ministry or mission), demonstrate Christ-like character and joyfully reveal the Good News. Maintain
a special focus on growth of post-Alpha programs to boost retention of developing or new Christians.
- Teach or co-teach courses as needed and appropriate.
- Support existing adult Sunday School classes and stay in regular contact with class leaders.
- Manage administrative functions involved in supporting the various ministry teams.
- Conduct leadership trainings
- Conducts on-going leadership training for the congregation, staff, and church leaders with emphasis on the values and practices of equipping the saints for ministry.
- Strengthen cross-ministry collaboration at Trinity working across ministries and departments to reach people and grow disciples, e.g. a joint parenting program with the Student & Family Ministries Team.
- Oversee development of materials and methods for communicating availability of adult offerings and programs.
- Attend appropriate workshops, meetings, and conferences as determined in conjunction with supervisor.
- Manage budget for the Adult Ministries.
Description of Schedule: Salaried, exempt, 40+ hours per week; attend monthly meetings, some at night; is an active and committed member of the Trinity family including attendance in weekly Sunday worship.
Training Required: Attend regional and national training events as time and funds permit. Be familiar with resources for growing disciples, be trained in the ShelbyNext database.
Accountability & Review:
Executive Associate Pastor in conjunction with the Adult Ministry Elders will conduct an annual performance review.
Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to develop, implement, and revise comprehensive ministry plans
- Strong communication, facilitation, and organizational skills
- Thrives on responsibility, multi-tasking, and leadership
- Effective training and coaching skills
- Proficient user of Word and Excel, has the ability to quickly learn the church database system (ShelbyNext), can contribute ideas to how technology can be better used as a discipling tool
- Is a Leading Believer: Vibrant relationship with Christ, established in the basics, ready to disciple others
- Is an outgoing person who is flexible, creative, able to lead, self-motivated, is honest, and has a good sense of when to talk and when to listen
- Knows their spiritual gifts and can help encourage others towards a “gifts-based” mentality
- Lives a life that models Christian character, spiritual leadership and a growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Passion for adult discipleship and outreach
- Proven ability to recruit, train, and encourage both volunteers and staff
- Awareness of a broad range of adult Christian education curriculum and materials
- Experience and ability to create ministry frameworks and then organize and follow through on details
- An understanding and commitment to the Reformed tradition and Reformed theology
Experience & Education:
- Three years’ experience in equipping ministry, spiritual development, or volunteer management preferred
- Willingness to learn ECO Presbyterian polity as it pertains to church membership, leadership, and service
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience, passion, sense of call and relevant spiritual gifts will transcend education
Work Environment/Method/Styles: Encourager,
Administrator, Conceptualization, People Oriented, Can Work Independently, Can Work with a Team
Desired Spiritual Gifts: Administration, Discernment, Encouragement, Leadership, Shepherding/Disciple Maker, Wisdom