Director of Student Ministries
The Director of Student Ministry has the responsibility to use their gifts, skills, experience, and ministry position to achieve the mission of Swansboro United Methodist Church by leading our 6th-12th grade youth to be disciples of
General Description and Vision:
Swansboro United Methodist Church is a leader in ministering to youth (6th-12th grade) throughout our community. We wish to see our youth grow in their knowledge and love of Jesus Christ while being challenged to live out their faith
beyond the walls of the church building. At the core of our student ministry will be the desire to build authentic relationships between the youth and adult leaders that fosters a space for challenge, growth, and trust.
The primary role of our Director of Student Ministries will be to create systems for sustainable youth ministry within the church community. We believe that youth ministry is done best with a great team, so a big part of the job will be in volunteer recruitment
and development. As a large church, we have a lot of ministry opportunities for youth, most of which are organized by dedicated volunteers. This position will help bridge the gaps between these ministry opportunities and create a Student Ministries program
that will run effectively and efficiently.
Along with our volunteer recruitment emphasis, this position will also be responsible for creating/selecting excellent teaching curriculum for all youth related activities.
- Assess, plan, and coordinate ministry programming for 6th-12th grade students.
- Recruit adult volunteers to assist in student ministry and provide training opportunities for all teachers and volunteer workers in the student program.
- Effectively communicate program information with parents and students.
- Develop outreach mindset and ministries to bring Christ into the lives of students outside of SUMC.
- Develop a well-written long-range plan and schedule of year-round activities and prepare an annual budget for student ministries.
- Work with youth and adult volunteers to fundraise throughout the year to help supplement the youth budget.
- Be a visible presence and provide worship leadership on an as-needed basis as indicated by the pastoral staff.
- Encourage and provide opportunities for youth to grow in service to God and others through various mission/service events.
- Plan, develop and implement youth trips which include all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of community building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Recruit, train, and equip adult lay volunteers, as well as provide Safe Sanctuary training for those working with youth and children.
- Ensure that the administrative needs of the student ministry are handled in a professional and timely manner, to include the following:
- Bulletin boards, photography, attendance records, forms, and registrations
- Attend scheduled staff meetings and other meetings related to this position (Church Council, Education Committee) or as deemed necessary by the Pastors.
- Personal development is encouraged:
- Reading at least two books a year relevant to current ministry needs
- Attending at least one continuing education event each year (funding provided through professional development)
- Supervise paid Children’s Church and/or nursery workers
- Consult and communicate with Associate Pastor regularly.
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as requested or assigned by the pastors.
- Growing disciple of Jesus Christ who has a love for youth and a desire to see young people grow in their love for Jesus Christ.
- Academic and/or specialized training or at least two years of experience in student ministry.
- College graduate or equivalent preferred.
- Active participation in the worship life of SUMC.
- Engaging personality and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
This position is full time, year-round, exempt status. Salary is commensurate with experience and education and includes normal withholdings for taxes and social security. The position also includes continuing education funds for professional development
As a staff member of SUMC, the Director of Student Ministries is expected to uphold church policies and act as a goodwill ambassador for the church:
- The Director will attend and participate in weekly staff meetings.
- The Director will maintain a cheerful and welcoming presence for everyone on our campus, stay informed on church activities so that they can answer questions or refer people to the proper persons, and encourage families to participate in worship and church
- Provide reports to Church Council and communicate student ministry information for use in the weekly bulletin and SUMC’s weekly e-newsletter, the Scoop.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Associate Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual performance evaluation. The Director of Student Ministries will be responsible and subject to the United Methodist policy and doctrine, local church policy
as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Please email your resume to email@example.com
Resumes will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.