REVISED JANUARY 31, 2017
Minister of Worship and Music
This position is responsible for the daily operation and administration of The Worship and Music Ministry. The Minister of Worship and Music is responsible for the organization, development, implementation and leadership of the Worship and Music
program of the First Baptist Church of Hampton. The Minister of Worship and Music will report directly to the Senior Pastor (or their designee). He/She will be responsible for implementing the overall vision of the Senior Pastor, FBCH Strategic Plan, and
the mission of the Worship and Music Ministry with an emphasis on genres that promote 21st Century worship.
Position Status - Full Time Job Classification - Exempt
- Meets scriptural requirement for a disciple of Jesus Christ; be spiritually mature and demonstrates the highest moral character in accordance with Ephesians 4.
- Possess a keen understanding of 21st century Church Worship trends; and how to incorporate new music technologies in a comprehensive approach to building music ministries through workshops, and program development without compromising
the identity of the church.
- A track record of excellent leadership and management of multiple and diverse groups of people.
- Shall possess minimum education requirements of a Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Music, Arts; and/or equivalent experience.
- Possess skills and proficiency with keyboard instruments(i.e. acoustic piano, organ, and/or digital keyboards)
- Possess the ability to both read music and play by ear proficiently.
- Be an effective communicator exercising good judgment and professionalism; possess problem-solving skills and practices relevant to effective leadership.
- Demonstrate professional standards and ethics; has engaged in on-going professional development.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify theological quality and accuracy of lyrics.
- Demonstrate the ability to teach a wide range of sacred music genres and styles, with an ability to identify vocal ranges and assign vocal parts for all age groups and genders.
- An ability to develop and manage a comprehensive ministry, to include teaching, directing, and leading members of all ages.
- Possess excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office programs, specifically Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Finale Notation Software or an equivalent. Database familiarity is a plus.
Within a congregational setting committed to a convergence worship model:
- Serve as the overseer of all ensembles under the umbrella of the Worship and Music Ministry and give strong leadership to all aspects of music, worship, and arts within First Baptist Church.
- Directly supervise all staff and volunteers in the Worship and Music Ministry.
- Plan, prepare, and execute music for Sunday Worship Service(s) and other special worship services as required (e.g. church outings, mid-week services, revivals, etc.) according to the vision of the Senior Pastor.
- Work with the choir officers to recruit and equip members.
- Coordinate with music staff and Audio-Visual Ministry well in advance of each service and/or rehearsal.
- Provide a plan for the development of skills and spirituality of ministry members.
- Participation in the outreach ministry opportunities of the church.
- Maintain music library, materials, supplies and equipment.
- Prepare and recommend an annual budget; manage the approved budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
On Site Interview Requirements:
- Demonstration of proficiency with keyboard instruments (acoustic piano, organ, and/or digital keyboards).
- Demonstration of conducting skills and effective rehearsal technique with adult choirs.
- Demonstration of conducting skills and effective rehearsal technique with children and youth choirs.
- Samples of composition and other musical writings.
Application Submission Requirements:
- A cover letter, no longer than two pages, single-spaced, that includes your philosophy of worship/sacred music and why you are the ideal candidate for First Baptist Church of Hampton.
- Personal testimony of your salvation experience and call to music ministry.
- A resume with four (4) pastoral and professional references.
- DVD or YouTube/Dropbox links of three (3) church worship services and/or rehearsal videos highlighting your leadership within the past year.
First Baptist Church of Hampton
229 North King Street
Hampton, Virginia 23669