We are looking for someone to be the lead pastor of a developing ‘gang church’ in Fresno, California. Working with our current field staff members, the candidate will help to continue to develop and expand a church plant focused on former members of gangs
and their families. The new church is forming out of an aging congregation with just a few remaining members. The candidate will lead the development and growth of the church plant that is focused on serving the needs of the local community. There are over
150 kids in the neighborhood. The area is economically poor and comprised of many Spanish-speaking farmworkers and gang members. This is an excellent opportunity to come alongside what God is already doing in the hearts and minds of those struggling to find
freedom from gang life and fullness in the life in Christ. The current field staff members work at the church in the areas of discipleship and marriage-crisis mentoring. This position requires raising full support.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assess, strategize and implement appropriate ministry activities
- Provide leadership and oversight for the church plant within an existing, but aging, congregation
- Plan and lead Bible study groups
- Regular preaching and teaching
- Provide appropriate pastoral counseling and mentoring
- Partner with churches and ministries in the area
- Recruit, train and lead volunteers
- Maintains a personal, active relationship with Jesus Christ and is a consistent witness
- A love and desire to shepherd a local body of believers
- Ability to recognize and strategize for new ministry opportunities as they are presented
- Works well with people
- Ability to recruit, train and lead volunteers
- Ability to raise support
- Bilingual (Spanish), preferred
Education and experience
Bachelor’s degree; or 1-2 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. One year of college-level Biblical studies preferred.
InFaith is a nondenominational mission that enables called and committed followers of Christ to serve with purpose and passion within our nation’s borders. With over 160 field staff serving in 33 states, we use many different ministry methods to achieve
one simple mission: to share Jesus with the people of the United States.