Part Time Position: 20 hours per week
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Salary: $20 to $24 per hour
To provide leadership and direction for the Handbell Choir as part of St. Thomas’s Music Ministries Team and to promote an integrated, balanced music program for the purpose of giving praise and honor to God.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs Handbell Choir at least one traditional worship service a month from September through May.
- Plans, schedules and leads the rehearsals for the Handbell Choir on a weekly basis, September through May, for participation in worship services.
- Works with the Worship and Music Director to arrange the yearly schedule for performances.
- Recruits and trains new Handbell Ringers as needed for the choir.
- Plans music for the church year, coordinating pieces, as much as possible with the theme and/or texts for performance Sundays.
- Maintains the handbell music library and purchases new music when desired out of budgeted funds.
- Is open to new opportunities to offer additional ringing opportunities for children, seniors, etc. when the interest is present
- Is open to additional ringing opportunities such as working in combination with the Chancel Choir, taking the Choir out into the community, etc.
- Pursues activities as necessary to maintain and grow skills to perform the job such as participating in continuing education opportunities relating to handbells, church music, etc.
- Oversees maintenance of the handbells and handchimes as needed to keep them in good playing condition.
- Advanced music background – music degree preferred but not required
- Advanced skills playing in and directing a musical ensemble where musical interpretation and phrasing are emphasized. This person must be a competent and sensitive musician.
- Strong leadership and communication skills to effectively coordinate Bell Ringers, enthusiasm and the ability to inspire.
- Strong skills in recruiting and developing volunteer Bell Ringers.
- The ability to set realistic goals.
- Advanced skills to evaluate, make corrections and move forward (like a football coach).
- Resilience, a good sense of humor, kindness, and humility.
The duties of the position require coordinating many people. Creativity and innovation are needed to engage many levels of talent. Ability to receive feedback, integrate new ideas, communicate mission and to respond with respect and clarity is necessary.
This is where patience and resiliency and can-do attitude play a major role. This individual must be a Christian and must consider the job a ministry as well as a profession and have a love and passion for glorifying God through music and worship.