Part Time Position: 20 hours per week
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Salary: $18 to $21 per hour
Education/Training: The Youth Music Director is a strong and competent leader. It is preferred that they play the piano. A formal education in music and demonstrated experience working with choral music, choirs or musicians is preferred for this job. This individual must be a Christian and must consider the job a ministry as well as a profession and have a love and passion for glorifying God through music and worship.
STUMC desires to lead our choral music program as an integral part of its positive youth development and ministry strategy. It will be integral to our disciplining of our youth working to elevate the spirit and to support young people in discovering spiritual meaning.
- The Music Program should serve the evolving spiritual needs of the youth.
- Create connections among all participants, musicians and church members, community – serving as a catalyst for growth and inspiration.
- The Music Program should welcome all who wish to participate. It will support the overall efforts of STUMC and Youth Ministries to create a nurturing environment that is safe, loving, and supportive, an environment in which young people’s abilities are cultivated to their highest potential.
The Youth Music Director shall be someone who has the musical experience, discipline and personal characteristics to engage our young people.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Youth Music Director position will be on a part time basis over the church year, from September – July. Presence at the church is required as follows:
- Three Sunday’s a month leading youth choir at the 9:40am worship service.
- Weekly Sunday afternoon rehearsals for 1 to 1.5 hours
- Annual week long mission trip in June
- Occasionally during the church year leading youth choir in specialty services such as Hanging of the Green, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday programs.
- Rehearses the Youth Choir (open to all youths in grades 6-12) every Sunday during the church year (September – June).
- Prepares and leads Youth Choir as they participate regularly in Sunday morning worship services.
- Direct, coordinate, and oversee the Youth Choir Mission Tour (includes choosing tour destinations, theme and music for the tour, planning and directing extra retreats for rehearsals, coordinating parent volunteers, oversee fundraising projects, other misc.)
- Works with the Director of Children and Youth Ministries to provide meaningful worship opportunities
- Maintain music library for Joyful Noise Singers Youth Choir
- Collaborates with Senior Pastor and Worship Leader concerning music and scheduling for weekly 9:40am Contemporary Worship Service
- Collaborates with Senior Pastor, Chancel Choir Director, and Worship Leader concerning music and scheduling special services throughout the year such as Hanging of the Green, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday
- Reviews and selects music to be performed at Sunday services as well as on annual mission trip
- Works with Senior Pastor, congregation, parents and guardians on a regular basis to keep them apprised of what’s happening in the youth choir
- Responds to concerns of youth and their parents in a timely and sensitive manner
- Coordinates parent volunteers to help with logistics as necessary
- Formal music training/degree/experience leading a music department or music classroom preferred
- Must be able to read music and preferably play a piano
- Strong vocal skills
- Experience in choral singing
- Knowledge of vocal technique for young singers
- Interest in a wide range of Church music
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with children and youth in a group setting
- A variety of musical experiences and interests
- Experience recruiting and working with volunteers
- Able to establish clear boundaries and maintain high expectations in a positive way with children and youth
- Good verbal and electronic communication skills with youth and adults/parents
- Demonstrates the ability to work well with others
- Encourages all kinds of musicality in children and youth
- Dedicated to the well-being and enhancements of the current and future music program
- Proficient with technology and social media
We are currently considering full time and part time applicants.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Music/Musician (Youth & Young Adults)Private Profile
- Houston, Texas
- January 20
Worship LeaderMountain View Presbyterian Church
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- January 19
Worship LeaderBethany Christian Reformed Church
- Bellflower, California
- January 19
Director of WorshipTrinity Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Florence, South Carolina
- January 19
Worship PastorGeneration Church
- Mesa, Arizona
- January 18
St Thomas United Methodist Church
St. Thomas United Methodist Church is a dynamic and growing church that strives to be a community of Christ followers. We recognize Jesus Christ as the source of our salvation and strive to spread the good news throughout the greater Manassas, Haymarket, and Prince William area. More...