St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist churches in the U.S. with a membership of nearly 6,000. We are an open community of Christians, gathering to seek, celebrate, live and share the love of God for all creation. We are called to make Disciples
of Christ for the transformation of the world.
The St. Luke’s is a place where students experience age appropriate ministry and leaders walk with teens through their phases. The Associate Director of High School provides intentional ministry for grades 9-12. This associate will a) connect students in
our community to church; b) create a ministry presence for high school students Sunday morning and beyond; c) care for students by meeting them where they are; d) develop leadership skills in students and adults; e) and work with the Director of Young Adults
to prepare upperclassmen for transition into young adult life.
- Build adult leadership teams who are committed to the care and the ongoing support of grades
9-12 developing both large and small group strategies
- Create systems of identifying and connecting high school students who come to worship at St.
Luke’s, and work with volunteers to build communities of fellowship and discipleship
- Create an age appropriate environment where the worship experience for high school students
is welcoming, inclusive and as a result growth is experienced
- Connect our church with local high school campuses and students through visitation, attending
school lunches and students activities
- Identify & develop the gifts and talents of our youth and work to deploy them within the broader
context of St. Luke’s congregation & ministries areas
- Assume team ownership of the quality, success and ongoing improvement of weekly
programming, monthly activities and major events
- Balance connection with students with tasks of administration & communication that is
required to provide activities, events, small groups, discipleship, and leadership training
- Respond compassionately to students and families; intentionally seek to build relationships with
others, provide care, creatively meet students where they are, and remain accessible and
approachable by students
- Develop and teach curriculum that addresses the phases of a high school student and
complements the ongoing development of our church wide Steps curriculum for families
- Intentionally bridge students from middle school to high school, and from high school to
- Resource parents as the church seeks to support students through the phase of High School
- Model a Christ-filled life, maintaining appropriate boundaries with work and others, caring for
self, and growing in faith and in profession
- Proven, effective experience with youth in a ministry context
- Strong leadership skills, competent in relevant technology, and great in communication
- Strong visioning skills as well as the initiative to carry out vision
- Bachelor degree in youth ministry or related field is preferred
The ideal candidate is a person passionate about the Christian faith, who actively seeks to grow in personal relationship with God, who is committed to the mission and vision of St. Luke’s, and who serves out of a sense of call.
This is a salaried, full-time position. Some scheduling flexibility required.
Submit resume to:
Director of Youth Ministry
St. Luke’s UMC
100 W. 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260