Christ Church of Oak Brook is seeking an experienced full-time Administrative Assistant (Ministry Associate) who can work in a fast paced, detail-oriented position. The position requires excellent communication skills in person and over
the phone with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines. We are seeking someone who is extremely sensitive and empathetic while handling the various ministry areas.
Christ Church of Oak Brook is an intergenerational, non-denominational Christian church with an average weekend attendance of 2,600 people and a membership of more than 5,000. A core group of 75 staff and hundreds of volunteers join together on its 25-acre
campus to provide ministries of worship, growth, and service for the western suburbs and beyond.
The Ministry Associate (Administrative Assistant) will provide the necessary ministry support, initiative and execution capacity to ensure effective administration and coordination of departmental objectives. The focus is ministry & administrative support
for the Pastoral care department, Hospitality ministry, Diaconal ministry, Prayer ministry, Support groups, Sunday evening worship services and the Multisite Initiative.
This position reports to the Pastor of Adult Ministry and Care and assists in the implementation of the mission and vision of the ministry. The ideal candidate will welcome the opportunity to worship, grow, and serve within the Christ Church of Oak Brook
Community, have a positive attitude, a friendly smile and share in the idea that families come first.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
The candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team, have excellent organizational and time management skills, strong listening skills and excellent follow-up skills. The preferred candidate will maintain a professional and caring attitude
while offering assistance and guidance to all people calling or entering the church for various ministry needs.
HOURS: Full-time 8:30 – 5:00 Monday through Friday and occasionally Saturdays. The person in this position needs to be able to work flexible hours.
BENEFITS: Two (2) weeks paid vacation, sick days, personal days after one year of employment; healthcare benefits include medical, dental, short/long term disability, life insurance, matching 401k plan.
HRIING SALARY: Starting salary commensurate with experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain ministry area calendar of events, appointments, room scheduling and reservations, and ministry reports, etc. (i.e. Event U, Outlook, Arena, CCOB website).
- Assist designated ministry Pastor in coordinating funeral and memorial services including preparing worship folder (bulletins), interfacing with diaconal ministry, coordinating with musicians, church staff personnel, and Funeral Home staff.
- Prepare (layout and design) or review draft communication for ministry areas, CCOB communications and external communications when needed.
- Attend and take notes or minutes as directed Adult Ministry & Care Pastor at all necessary meetings.
- Assist in providing resources, documentation and communication for CCOB leadership when requested.
- Other miscellaneous administration including ordering and stocking Departmental supplies/resources, Abbey Care notes rack, and other ministry resource areas with appropriate communication.
- Coordinate Visitation in concert with Adult Ministry & Care Pastor and lay visitation volunteers.
Volunteers and Lay Leadership
- Engage, train and work alongside volunteers to receive phone calls, emails, mail, and other administrative support for all responsible ministry areas and determine suggested course of action and respond when appropriate (i.e. various Care, Pastoral Care,
Support Groups, Stephen Ministry) resources and procedures for accessing appointments, applications, reservations, interviews, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of identifying and empowering lay leadership teams including contacting new members and those expressing interest in ministry areas.
- Train and work alongside volunteers to create and maintain database and files for ministry area (Visitation, Hospitality, GriefShare, and all Support groups,)
- Project management of lay leadership teams regarding weekly events; special programs and other areas of resource including coordination of room set up/take down; food services; publishing/graphic arts services; AV/technology needs; by engaging staff partners
in each area.
- Provide administrative support for the Diaconal Ministry, Hospitality Ministry, Sunday Prayer and Care Ministry, Stephen and Support Group ministries, and Prayer Chain.
- Greets individuals in a polite, friendly and professional manner; answers questions and concerns, in person and by telephone, or directs them to the appropriate person or proper location.
- Composes, types and edits letters, memoranda, correspondence, spreadsheets and reports from rough drafts, general instructions and dictation.
- Ensure accurate and effective telephone communications, answers inquires, and takes messages. Refers callers to appropriate individuals and contacts new members and those expressing interest in ministry areas
- Ability to determine suggested course of action, provide the resources and respond in a caring and appropriate demeanor when calls come in regarding areas such as pastoral care, funeral arrangements, support groups, Stephen Ministry.
- Engage, train and work alongside volunteers to receive phone calls, emails, mail, and other administrative support for all ministry areas
- Ability to create a mail merge to create personalized letters and pre-addressed envelopes or mailing labels for mass mailings from form letters
- Other administrative duties will include filing, copying, faxing, scanning, and emailing documents.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Five or more years of administrative experience
- An Associate’s degree as Executive Administrative Assistant
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field preferred
- Experience in a large church or non-profit organization a plus.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS DESIRED:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and knowledge of Access is a plus.
- Proficiency with, or willingness to learn, other computer programs such as Desktop publisher and Adobe Photoshop (or equivalent)
- Excellent communication skills to interact with people over the phone and in person and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ideal candidate will be able to type a minimum of 60 w.p.m.
- Knowledge of operating standard office equipment
- Ability to prioritize projects and strong problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with a strict attention to detail
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
Interested candidates can apply by submitting their cover letter expressing their interest in the position along with a resume to email@example.com. Due to the volume of inquiries and applicants, we are not able to respond to every application or
resume we receive. We will be in contact with you if we are interested in pursuing your application of employment. Thank you for your understanding.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required walk; use hands to finger, and reach with hands and arms. This is largely a sedentary role; however filling is required, this
would require the ability to lift, bend or stand and transport items up to 10 lbs.
A pre-employment background check is required
Christ Church of Oak Brook is an Equal Opportunity Employer