Pastor of Worship Arts
Reports To: Lead Pastor
The Pastor of Worship Arts PWA is a full time ministry position with Centerpoint Church; The PWA is the worship pastor, and will provide worship team leadership in general, music, and worship leadership for all weekend services and special outreach times
(including seasonal events) at Centerpoint. Additionally, the Worship Pastor will oversee and provide coaching and input for all other Centerpoint Worship leaders (such as youth worship leaders and other campus worship pastors). The PWA will work in consultation
with the creative teams and the Director of Tech and Production Services with regards to the weekend worship services.
The PWA will be directly accountable to the Lead Pastor. The PWA will be a team player with the whole staff team, working together toward our common mission. The PWA will receive an official annual review in August, and periodic performance reviews throughout
the year with the Lead Pastor and/or the Executive Pastor. The PWA interfaces in a matrix relationship with other staff who have responsibilities related to services; including members of the creative team, communications and production/tech teams.
A great PWA for Centerpoint Church is an amazing worship pastor at heart, able to lead people in a joyful time of praise and to a place of real holy encounter through worship! He or she is an upbeat, positive, authentic, loving, energizing and inspiring
person who is a team builder, a strong leader, a developer of people, spiritually wise, and an effective manager. This person has a gift for providing creative vision, Holy spirit infused inspiration and excellence in the implementation of worship and worship
service production. The right person will have a capacity for pastoral inspiration, and the pastoral heart to work with grace-filled and spirit-filled presence.
1. PLANS AND LEAD WORSHIP FOR ALL WEEKEND WORSHIP SERVICES AND SPECIAL EVENTS
- Lead worship and/or raise up great worship leaders for all weekend services
- Plan worship sets and special services with input from lead pastor
- Develop a discipline of thinking through the theological/idea aspect of the message and create a prayer/statement that can be spoken/prayed through as you lead worship
- Aim for and strive for excellence in music ministry and musicality of the band while serving with a heart of humility
- Plan, organize and lead at least one practice per week on a day other than Sunday for the Sunday services, except for a few times a year when it’s impossible; do the same for the Saturday service – that is, plan and lead a practice for that service
- Build a team of people committed to effectively leading people in worship at Centerpoint Church
- Develop and manage the two contract worship leaders to lead worship on the weeks you take a break.
- Work with Lead Pastor and the Creative Team to design special services for Christmas and Easter and other key times.
- Plan and carry out a School of Worship (currently a one-week experience in summer)
- Plans and leads worship for Overflow services in coordination with Lead Pastor
2. PROVIDE LEADERSHIP TO
BUILD AND ADMINISTRATE THE WORSHIP TEAM
- Facilitate all aspects of administrative management for worship
- Develop and manage the annual budget for worship
- Recruit new talent, train and develop current talent for worship and service production so that there are sufficient competent musicians and technicians to bring about excellence in weekend services in all areas needing worship leadership
- Provide matrix coaching and input for all other Centerpoint worship leaders: campus worship leader, youth worship leader and others as needed
- Coordinate music and technical needs for special events the church may do
3. CONTRIBUTE TOWARD THE OVERALL MISSION OF CENTERPOINT CHURCH THROUGH
HANDS ON PASTORING
- Participate in staff meetings as a team player with the other ministry leadership staff
- Assist in pastoring, leading, and organizing the weekend services teams volunteers as needed
- Actively pastor people in the church through calling, visiting, listening, prayer – whether they are on your team or not (but primarily those on your team); This includes providing Pastor on Duty support for people who come to the church during the week.
- Strive to maintain the unity of the Body at Centerpoint by valuing this particular Body and our mission
- Grow in your own personal relationship with the Lord and in spiritual disciplines to stay spiritually strong and healthy.
- Commit to supporting the vision, direction and teaching the Lead Pastor brings to the church
- Pray with and dream with Lead Pastor for the leadership of this particular ministry
- Professionally competent on at least one instrument; preferably guitar - possibly piano; able to lead a band; excellent singer; energetic and enthusiastic; able to read music and create music and/or charts.
- College degree preferred – in music or ministry.
- Need to be willing to relocate to Murrieta, CA.
- Must be able to build and manage a team; administrate scheduling; must be able to multi-task - leading worship
and taking care of administrative responsibilities; must be committed to the vision of the Centerpoint Church and be willing to take on other needed ministry responsibilities.
- Must be willing to work as a team with all church staff to accomplish the overall vision of the church; should be amenable to a Wesleyan-Arminian theology.
- Willing to pursue licensing for ministry with the Free Methodist Church of North America.
- Must be able to lead worship in an environment that is semi-charismatic
- Must be able to see the gift of 'tongues' ‘Word of Knowledge’, ‘prophecy’, etc. as valid expressions of spiritual gifting. These are not ‘majors’ for us as a church or as a denomination, but they are part of the experience of our pastoral team. We don’t
‘push’ for these things, but they are part of what we deem acceptable. We are not ‘dispensationalist’ or ‘cessationist’ in terms of spiritual gifts, and we are decidedly NOT Calvinist. It is expected that you will be in basic agreement with these stances.
- Must embrace an ‘attractional’ model – understanding that it serves a missional purpose.
As all Christians are called to simply serve the Lord in their church beyond their income-providing jobs, so you are asked to consider that some of what you do you would be doing anyway in service to the Lord as a Christian. So you may actually end up investing
more time than your 40 hours because of this fact. You may take two weeks off with pay during the year, dates to be approved by the Lead Pastor. You must ensure that your ministries will run smoothly in your absence when you take time off – and the Lead Pastor
must approve your replacement. You may assign actual worship leading tasks to another qualified team member or guest once every 6-8 weeks with the Lead Pastor’s approval. You are requested not to take time off at Christmas or Easter. Request for time off should
be discussed in advance.
It is our expectation that you will discontinue other employment. All employment is on an at-will basis.
*We ask members to volunteer 3-5 hours per week for ministry and that same attitude must be modeled in the staff. This is an implied part of your responsibility.