WEST SHORE EVANGELICAL FREE CHURCH
OPPORTUNITY PROFILE FOR
About West Shore Free
41 years ago West Shore Evangelical Free Church (WSF) was formed by a small group of people committed to the truth of the gospel and to living the implications of that truth in Central Pennsylvania. The church has grown to over 2,500 people today and remains committed to impacting Mechanicsburg and its surrounding communities with truth and love. WSF is known for its commitment to families and is significantly and intentionally multi-generational. The church has a history of seeing God move in and through its people, and is currently in a season of growth under the leadership of its newest Senior Pastor, Trent Thompson. Trent is a leader who genuinely loves people, communicates God’s truth with passion and clarity, and connects with people of all ages.
From the pulpit to venues for training and service, a high value is placed not just on knowing God’s Word, but on allowing the gospel to shape lives inside and out. WSF is passionate about truth because it wants to see God cultivate lives of deep meaning and purpose in people from all walks of life.
One of the strengths of our church is a highly trusted and strategic staff. Executive Pastor John Nesbitt and Trent lead this team together and give significant attention to cultivating a collaborative, creative, trusting, and fun environment in which to do gospel ministry. WSF is a congregationally-governed, elder-ruled, and staff-led church. It is affiliated with The Evangelical Free Church of America (www.efca.org) and embraces the EFCA’s Statement of Faith.
WSF has a uniquely multi-generational feel. The church is home to people of all generations. It is also committed to being a safe place for people of faith to admit brokenness and for the skeptical and hurting to investigate Christ and His claims. We are seeing a growing number of people in both of these situations beginning to follow Jesus with courage and authenticity.
Less important than these things, but of interest and importance to its mission, is the scope of WSF’s campus located on 92 acres with a 1500 seat worship center, a gym, multiple community spaces, and an outdoor walking path and sports fields.
Mission & Values
West Shore as a church body is: “Seeking the good of the West Shore and beyond through deep truth, deep lives and deep love, for the glory of Christ.” While building on a strong heritage, the church is also eagerly pursuing a new season of life together in pursuit of the following values:
- Know God as He is
- Be, rather than appear to be
- Sent with the Gospel
- Sacrifice for one another
- Engage across generations
Challenge & Opportunity
WSF’s Communications Manager will be filling a position that has not been staffed for several years. As such, this is a great opportunity to provide strategic input and influence in what we recognize is a key area of our mission effectiveness. Current staff are excitedly anticipating this position being filled so that we can partner together to build God’s kingdom and fulfill our mission as a body.
Location & Demographic
Mechanicsburg is in the heart of Central Pennsylvania in the Cumberland Valley. It is 14 miles west of Harrisburg and sits between the cities of Hershey and Gettysburg. It is a family-friendly community with great schools and affordable housing (average home prices in the 200K-250K range). With four distinct seasons each year, residents enjoy the best of outdoor recreation and local attractions. While the community offers the comforts of a mid-size city, it is only a few hours from the major metropolitan areas of D.C., Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New York. Central Pennsylvania offers the rich heritage of the Northeast while sharing the friendliness and authenticity of the Midwest.
To find out more about WSF, please take time to peruse the church website at www.westshorefree.org to learn more about our doctrinal beliefs, vision, values and the many other ministries of the church. If, after a thorough look at these resources and the opportunity profile and position description, you sense that this would be a good fit for you, please apply as follows. Submit your resume along with any associated documents to our search coordinator— Mary Heatherly at MHeatherly@westshorefree.org.
West Shore Evangelical Free Church
Title: Communications Manager
Purpose & Responsibilities
This person will be the champion storyteller of all that God is doing in and through WSF as the church body seeks the good of the community. This includes utilizing current means to present our message through all forms of media in a way that captures attention, interest and commitment to our mission. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and vision-caster as well as a professional communicator with great management skills for creating teams to execute the vision. He/She will also possess a good visual sense for art and design that is relevant and effective. Specifically, the Communications Manager is responsible for:
- Finding and effectively telling the stories of how God is working in and through WSF to encourage and inspire us to engage in His work.
Communication & Marketing
- Creating vision for, and then writing, editing and overseeing design of communications.
- Developing, managing and implementing the WSF Brand and branding guidelines in coordination with church leadership and staff.
- Ensuring that the church develops and maintains regular, intentional communication with staff, leaders, congregation and the community at large.
- Serving the ministries of WSF by working collaboratively to communicate their needs and activities through the most operative and cost-effective means available.
- Overseeing development and dissemination of press releases, articles and ad placements.
Visual & Digital Media
- Managing the church website in terms of content, form, function and design.
- Writing, editing and supervising design of the weekly newsletter (printed & digital) and other electronic communications and promotional materials.
- Maintaining, overseeing and strategically broadening WSF’s social media presence.
- Developing and overseeing video production in collaboration with technical staff and volunteers.
- Building and leading effective teams to accomplish the varied responsibilities of this position, encompassing both content (writers, editors, proofreaders and social media specialists) and visuals (graphic designers, web programmers and designers, photographers and videographers).
- Overseeing and providing relevant communications related to training the staff and volunteers to enhance effectiveness.
- Initiating, evaluating and maintaining good vendor relationships for effective, timely production.
- Maintaining and tracking effectiveness of communication vehicles through analytics.
- Minimum— Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related degree from an accredited, four-year institution.
- Five or more years of experience in:
- Communication that engages and encourages people to grow.
- Creating and implementing workable and measurable communication programs.
- Grasping what makes a good story that engages and informs.
- Sound writing and editing capabilities for web and print with proficiency in Associated Press style guidelines.
- Aesthetic discernment in print and web.
- Solid skills in creating and following communication production schedules and strategic plans.
- Proficient in Constant Contact (or Mail Chimp), Word, Excel and other contemporary software programs.
- Basic proficiency in HTML, WordPress, Joomla, and other content management systems.
- Familiarity with software tools for graphic design and videography is a plus.
- Outstanding leadership skills including experience in supervision of both skilled and unskilled writers (freelance, volunteers and staff) as well as designers and programmers.
- Shows a commitment to personal growth in Christ.
- Strong affirmation of the mission and values of WSF, as well as the WSF Constitution, Bylaws and Statement of Faith.
- Manifest good character and wise, discerning judgment.
- Ability to work well and graciously under pressure and facing deadlines.
- Effective leader who enjoys building healthy teams.
- Demonstrates the integration of faith with work.
- Affirms and encourages co-workers and subordinates, resolving conflicts as they arise.
- Self-starter who works well with minimal supervision.
- Offers honest feedback and constructive recommendations.
- Emphasizes thoroughness, dedication and results.
- The Communications Manager will commit to ongoing professional development (books, videos, seminars, online resources and networking) to meet the increasing needs and challenges of emerging technologies. The church will provide support for training as funds are available.
- The Communications Manager reports to the Executive Pastor and also receives regular direction from the Senior Pastor. He/she also works in collaboration with ministry leaders and support staff to meet the communication needs of the church.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Communications DirectorIngleside Baptist Church
- Macon, Georgia
- January 13
Creative Arts / Communications DirectorCornerstone Christian Fellowship
- Chandler, Arizona
- January 11
Communications Directorthe Journey at First Baptist Orange City
- Orange City, Florida
- January 11
Video ProducerFellowship Bible Church
- Roswell, Georgia
- January 10
Chief Video EditorThe Watchman Show
- Washington, District of Columbia
- December 30