First Congregational Church
2 West Olive Avenue
Redlands, CA 92373
DIRECTOR OF FAMILY AND YOUTH MINISTRY
Personal Note from Senior Minister
Since becoming Senior Minister at FCC a year ago, we have experienced significant growth in our outreach to young families. The new Director will join me, and our teams of volunteer leaders, to expand our present programs and launch new initiatives. In some
ways, we will be working to plant a new church within our congregation. This will take much relational investment and a high degree of organized dedication. I think our director will find the work tremendously gratifying.
We are a financially stable and active church with a rich heritage and a desire to do more to engage the hearts and minds of emerging generations. Our vibrant members of 500+ are active in widespread leadership throughout the region and dedicated to communicating
the Bible’s message of love through Jesus Christ. We greatly enjoy our wonderful town that has a strong private university, quality symphony, and many lovely features that give it delightful charm. We have easy access to mountains, beaches and the world-class
cultural activities of the Los Angeles area.
I invite you to explore our church on the web and social media:
Because I’ll be closely serving together with our new director, I invite you to explore my background and philosophy online:
Feel free to reach out to me with any questions about this position. I welcome all thoughts, recommendations and referrals.
Qualifications and Skills Needed:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, preference given to those with Masters level training or equivalent experience;
- A person who has a Christian faith, integrity, and a strong character who models the Christian lifestyle;
- Ability to communicate Christian values with clarity and effectiveness to children, youth and adults;
- Ability to recruit, train, coach, and motivate students and youth sponsors;
- A self-starter with an encouraging and enthusiastic attitude and the ability to develop positive relationships in working as part of a team;
- A person with initiative and commitment to Christ;
- Possess leadership, organizational and administrative skills;
- Using computer applications for word processing, Excel, internet sending and retrieving electronic mail (email);
- Determining how money will be spent and accounting for these expenditures.
General Job Duties:
- Conduct weekly youth group meetings;
- Build spiritually nurturing relationships with families connected to the congregation, including parents, children, and extended family members;
- Lead youth ministry activities, steadily involving increasing numbers of families in the life of the church;
- Refer all possible controversial matters on politics, sexuality and theology back to the pastor and Christian Education Committee;
- Provide articles for the newsletters according to deadline provided by the church’s secretary;
- Submit regular announcements and articles in the church newsletter and bulletin;
- Maintain weekly texts, phone calls, social media and announcements to youth and families;
- Supervise family, youth and children’s curriculum selection;
- Collaborate with youth organizations: Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, other church youth groups;
- Develop community outreach and service for families;
- Manage activities for families that promote congregational engagement, worship attendance and active membership in the church;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Specific Job Tasks:
- Attend and conduct weekly Youth Meetings for Junior and Sr. High Youth;
- Attend Monthly Staff meetings at FCC, and report activities, projects and goals to the Board of Christian Education;
- Plan Monthly Special Events for youth;
- Coordinate education activities for parents and children for Sunday morning programs at 10:00 a.m.;
- Plan, supervise, and attend week-end winter retreat and week long summer retreat for youth.