Job Announcement: Director of Discipleship
Buncombe Street United Methodist Church is located in downtown Greenville, SC. Since our beginnings in 1834, we have remained committed to scriptural holiness. Through an offering of wonderful programs of mission and outreach we work to spread the Good News
of Jesus Christ.
The Director of Discipleship serves to develop, oversee and supervise educational activities both on Sundays and throughout the week. The primary purpose of these activities is to strengthen individual relationships with Christ through increasing knowledge,
fellowship, support and accountability. The Director of Discipleship is responsible for managing the educational initiatives of the church and working with the church members, staff and committees to achieve the church’s missions and objectives. Initiatives
include but are not limited to Women’s Ministries, Men’s Ministries, Adult Ministries, Youth Ministries, Children’s Ministries and Young Adult Ministries. This position will extend the ministry of the church to employees, members, and the community.
Position Responsibilities- Essential
- Responsible and accountable for all Christian education ministry programs to include Women’s Ministries, Men’s Ministries, Adult Ministries, Youth Ministries, Children’s Ministries and Young Adult Ministries.
- Ensure educational programs are measured and tracked for sustained attendance and continued growth as a percentage of the various membership initiatives.
- Ensure member-driven organic growth of various membership activities is measured and tracked.
- Ensure Sunday School and small-group efforts to deepen Christian discipleship and provide witness as Christian disciples is measured and tracked for sustained attendance and continued growth.
- Ensure accountability for effectiveness and growth in all Christian education ministry programs.
- In coordination with the rest of the ministry team, identify written short- and long-term goals for all Education programs. Create, monitor and update goals annually to align with Church mission.
- Work to coordinate and develop a master plan and calendar for all Christian Education within the church both in traditional Sunday School curriculum, as well as other church education and small group programs.
- Work closely with responsible parties to coordinate and create church calendar.
- Ensure that all educational programs meet the requirements of:
- Coordinate selection of curriculum, resources and supplies for Sunday School programs.
- Plan and coordinate all Bible Studies, including recruiting and training appropriate volunteer and lay leaders.
- Provide a venue to reach members of the larger community for Christ.
- Strengthen support for families and individuals in their discipleship for Christ.
- Budgeting and Administration:
- Providing a safe and doctrinally-sound forum for exploring the Christian faith.
- Are consistent with the core beliefs of Christianity and the doctrine of the United Methodist Church.
- Are sufficient in number, variety and relevance to meet the needs of existing church members and community.
- Include mechanisms for outreach and growth to further the efforts of Buncombe Street UMC to make disciples for Christ.
- Create and administer the budget for all assigned areas.
- Coordinate with the Director of Administration to identify and mitigate potential liability for Church facilities, property, members, volunteers, community members and staff involved in adult education.
- Recruit, screen, select, train and support all volunteers and lay leaders in educational programs.
- Communicate with the Sunday School representatives and small group leaders to provide assistance as needed.
- Ensure documentation and correspondence is accurate, timely and well organized.
- Ensure all records, forms, and paperwork is filed timely and accurately.
Position Responsibilities- Non-Essential/Other
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Christian Education or related field.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Christian Education.
- Willingness and ability to learn and respect the Methodist doctrine.
- Ability to use judgment and discretion with confidential information.
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate a very diverse staff.
- Ability to track, measure, and hold employees accountable for annual performance goals.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to enhance employee’s performance.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating multiple, simultaneous, large-scale volunteer initiatives.
- Extensive knowledge and use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written.
- Professional demeanor, team oriented, positive and engaging attitude.
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and strong problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills (record keeping, time management, follow up, etc.).
- Excellent attention to detail and sense of urgency, with an emphasis on quality and accuracy of work.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, prioritize and deal with interruptions while meeting timely deadlines.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to tactfully handle stressful and difficult situations.
- Strong ethical standards; ability to create trust and integrity with co-workers and community.
- Personal attributes that include reliability, professionalism, ability to work independently, positive attitude, and ability to remain calm in stressful situation.
- Regular and sustained attendance.
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- 5 years demonstrated experience in adult programming.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver effective congregational messages as needed.
Please send a resume and cover letter by October 20, 2016 to:
Director of Discipleship Search
Care of Christopher A. Malaska
Visit our website: www.bsumc.com