JOB TITLE: Communications Director
REVISION DATE: August 2016
SUPERVISORï¿½€™S TITLE: Executive Pastor
FLSA STATUS: Full Time Employee
SUMMARY/POSITION PURPOSE The Communications Director will lead by unifying and aligning all church communication messaging, strategy and tactics. He/she will partner with ministries to create communication plans to mobilize specific audiences to respond.
The Communications Director will manage messaging, print, graphics website and social media to ensure the consistency of the E91 Brand. They will ensure high quality and highest impact communications are created for both internal and external audiences.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain the E91 brand, including logo, brand colors, graphic standards, and messaging.
- Understand the overall church vision in order to organize and prioritize messaging.
- Meet periodically with the Lead Pastor and a Communications Team for mutual discussion of the churchâ€™s priorities, decisions, preaching plans, and strategies.
- Maintain a communications calendar highlighting the placement of each communications tactic.
- Implement creative, innovative and engaging messaging for all strategic tactics and deliverables.
- Proactively work with ministry leaders to support their communications needs and develop ministry specific messaging. Assist in balancing the desires of ministry leaders with the overall communications strategies of the church.
- Create the weekly host block, announcement slides, bulletin, eNews and other regular church communications.
- Manage the churchâ€™s graphic art and print deliverables while outsourcing art design and vendor efforts.
- Maintain and enhance the churchâ€™s web and social media presences. Serve as the Webmaster for the churchâ€™s website and ensure that it remains fresh and engaging. Develop and implement a church-wide social media strategy.
- Write and edit printed and electronic messages.
- Maintain currency on innovative creative, communications, and technological trends.
- Manage the production of an annual report for the church.
- Manage communications strategies to be on time and on budget.
- Develop positive relationships with volunteers throughout the church. Cultivate, lead, and manage a team of communications ministry volunteers (writers, photographers, designers, etc.).
- Identify stories of life-change within the church, and develop ways to creatively communicate those stories via video, interviews, newsletters, e-News, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must have the following skills.
- Highly skilled in the use of technology including Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Basecamp, Ekklesia, Survey Monkey, Mail Chimp, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Understands utilization of creative and effective art.
- Website content management.
- Able to multi-task.
- Skilled in the use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat as communications tools.
- Skilled in leadership, coaching, creative communications, marketing, public relations, and organizational planning.
- Strong relationship and team skills.
- Able to work well with people of different generations.
- Able to work well with volunteers.
- Understands and implements the concept of servant leadership.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must develop the following relationships.
- Lead Pastor, Executive Team and Elders
- Ministry Roundtable
- Print houses
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Minimum educational level: Bachelorâ€™s Degree. Preferred but not required: Business with a specialty in communications or Public Relations/Marketing.
- 5+ yearsâ€™ experience on a church staff (preferably on a communications team).
- Agree to and sign the staff covenant.
- Understand and enthusiastically support E91â€™s mission, vision, and values.