Director of Contemporary Worship Arts
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits, continuing education, and retirement offered. This Position Description offers specifics on expectations, tasks, and qualifications, but does not compromise the core conviction that ministry staff are hired first to the vision of the church. The church seeks a person who can be a crucial player in leading music ministry to the next level of faithful witness through authentic Biblical-Wesleyan based worship, growth in the number and capabilities of musicians, and expanding the visibility of church ministry to the larger community.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
1. Lead / oversee all aspects of the contemporary worship services except the sermon including coordination, leadership and mentoring of the Worship Band(s), AV / lighting, environment (stage design), media creation, worship volunteers, equipment maintenance, and involvement in the worship service planning
2. Lead / oversee the Worship Band and AV for the youth program service
3. Lead / oversee / participate in the musical worship for the Saturday morning Alive services
4. Partner and assist with other music ministries of the church as needed, such as support for the Vacation Bible School, Latino ministries, music series and other evolving or special music ministries
5. Work in supportive and collegial ways with pastoral leadership and staff
6. Develop and implement needs of a budget in conjunction with Director of Music Ministries
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND ABILITIES
1. Professing, committed and growing follower of Jesus Christ with the ability to witness in different environments
2. Bachelor’s degree in music / worship leadership preferred with either (a) five years experience leading a worship band and contemporary worship service, or, (b) significant leadership experience in relevant areas
3. Affirmation and understanding of United Methodist/Wesleyan beliefs and theology of worship
4. Working knowledge of drums, guitars (electric / acoustic), keys / synth, and vocals
5. Knowledge of current music / technology trends as they relate to modern worship music
6. Strong management, leadership, communication, interpersonal, and team skills
7. Affirm and embrace the mission and vision of Peoria FUMC
8. Personal lifestyle, integrity, values, and financial stewardship consistent with leadership in the church
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH is the 4th largest United Methodist church in Illinois, with a weekend worship average attendance of 782. Roughly 25% of the congregation are Latino, African-American, or have a birth language other than English. A regional church committed to its downtown location, we draw from the entire spectrum of the social, cultural, economic and racial aspects of the larger Peoria community. Persons from 5 continents worship at the church each week. The congregation has a strong and positive identity within the evangelical perspective of the United Methodist church, firmly committed to the historic gospel of the universal church as affirmed in the Wesleyan tradition. Worship services are offered in traditional, contemporary, alternative, contemplative (Taize), gospel and bilingual (Spanish) styles.
First Church is a “Bible-believing” church committed to ministry to our community and the world, seeking to broadly serve from those on the margins to those in positions of influence. The church provides a soup kitchen, clinic, tutoring and clothes distribution program. We partner with community, state and national organizations, including the Mexican consulate in Chicago, the Illinois Music Educators Association, Rotary International, and Lincoln K-8 School. We provide the only faith-based ministry to those with HIV-AIDS between Chicago and St. Louis (in partnership with the state), and a variety of other partnership missions locally and worldwide.
A $9M renovation and addition to facilitate faithful ministry from the heart of the city was approved in 2011, constructed in 2012 and is on track to be fully paid by the end of 2018, without taking out a mortgage. Our annual budget is approximately $2.2M.
PEORIA is the heart of a diverse metropolitan region of 350,000 on the banks of the Illinois River. The city is anchored by a blossoming medical research community and multinational industries led by Caterpillar Inc.’s world headquarters.
Peoria is home to two minor-league sports teams, a major performance and convention center, a large park district with miles of walking and biking paths, a growing riverfront arts and entertainment district, a zoo and several museums. NCAA Division I Bradley University, Illinois Central College and several medical schools also are located in the city.
It’s an easy commute to the Midwest’s major cities, as Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis are within three-hour drives. Additionally, Interstate-74 provides easy access to the Illinois-Iowa Quad Cities, Bloomington-Normal and Champaign-Urbana.
Full time salaried position commensurate with experience
Benefit package includes continuing education, health, vacation, and retirement
Applicants are encouraged to apply by September 30th. Resumes will be received until position is filled.
Interested candidates should submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
First United Methodist Church
116 NE Perry Avenue
Peoria, Illinois 61603
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Worship and Creative Arts PastorFusion Bible Church
- Durant, Oklahoma
- December 10
Worship LeaderSt. Paul M.B. Church
- Olive Branch, Mississippi
- December 9
Director of Worship Music ArtsIrvington Presbyterian Church
- Fremont, California
- December 9
Music DirectorRural Shade Baptist Church
- Cleveland, Texas
- December 8
Worship/Young AdultGod's Family Church
- Fresno, California
- December 7
First United Methodist Church
Located in downtown Peoria facing Perry Avenue between Main Street and Hamilton Blvd, we are an established, regional congregation who has enthusiastically chosen to remain downtown to best be active in community ministries in Peoria and the Tri-county area. We affirmed that decision in 2011 with our Transforming Lives building campaign which included an addition to our 116 NE Perry building that was completed in November, 2013. Growing a Community in Christ, First Church Peoria offers a balance of ministries for personal fa More...