The Minister of Assimilation and Group Life supports the greater vision of the church by leading ministries aimed at guiding people, from first time attendees to those born and raised in the church, to a genuine sense of belonging, involvement, and spiritual growth. He or she will provide an intentional pathway for meeting people where they are on their spiritual journey and leading them to strategic and life changing next steps. He or she is primarily responsible for developing vision and strategies for connections and group life ministries, creating and/or reenergizing small group ministries, and recruiting, training and empowering volunteers leaders of those ministries.
- Initiates the development of and clearly articulates the vision of Assimilation and Group Life Ministries in alignment with Sunset’s Vision and Core Values.
- Collaborates with the Lead Pastor of Administration and the Lead Pastor of Spiritual Formation to ensure the integration of the vision of the Assimilation and Group Life Ministries with that of the church at large.
- Develops strategies to move first-time visitors and attendees into community.
- Regularly interacts with other ministry leaders to create a comprehensive approach to the spiritual development of attendees of Sunset.
- Keeps abreast of current trends and best practices for the Assimilation and Group Life ministries, and communicates those to staff and volunteer leadership.
- Oversees the management of approximately 200 Assimilation and Group Life volunteers, including teachers, small group leaders, program leaders, greeters, coaches, ushers, support group leaders
- Develops and implements strategies for recruiting, equipping, motivating and holding accountable assimilation and group life volunteers,
- Promotes Sunset’s vision of volunteerism as a step in the spiritual formation of volunteers’ lives.
- Develops and implements a plan for ongoing coaching and leads regular meetings and retreats for small group leaders.
- Develops follow-up strategies to engage and retain visitors and attendees
- Tracks and measures ministry progress and results through systematic assessment, and makes course corrections as needed.
- Functions as one of the pastors of the church providing support in areas such as teaching, preaching, counseling, prayer, shepherding, evangelism, administration of the sacraments and mentoring as requested by Lead Pastor.
- Contributes to the vision of the church by collaborating on other teams as requested by the Lead Pastor of Administration.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Job responsibilities are carried out in a work environment that consists of both new and recurring work situations. The position involves a high degree of complexity in that it regularly interacts with all attendees of the church as well as in a leadership role with both volunteers and paid staff. While the Minister of Assimilation and Group Life must be able to operate as both an administrative team leader and a team player, a high degree of independence is also required in performance and decision-making.
The Minister of Assimilation and Group Life does not supervise employees but oversees the recruitment, training and work of as 200+ volunteer teachers, small group leaders, program leaders, greeters, coaches, ushers, support group leaders, etc.
The Minister of Assimilation has frequent internal contacts with attendees, volunteers, and other staff members. The position has a very high amount of internal contact with other staff, Session members, non-staff ministry leaders and congregants. Secondary contacts include outside vendors, facility renters and the general public.
The job is normally performed in an office environment and/or on the campus of the church. The position includes some periods of close computer work. The Minister of Assimilation and Group Life will occasionally be required to work in excess of eight hours per day or forty hours per week. Normal work week is flexible and includes evening activities; however Sunday morning hours (approx. 8:00am through 1:00pm) are required. Travel requirements are minimal and negotiable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in ministry related field is required.
- Three to five years’ experience working in a church or ministry environment with demonstrated ability to oversee and motivate both staff and volunteers.
- Previous pastoral ministry experience is preferred, particularly in the areas of ministry to be overseen by this position. Strong volunteer management experience may be substituted for church or ministry experience.
- Presbyterian ordination is not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Passion for equipping volunteers
- Demonstrated skill in developing and implementing a high level and effective strategies
- Leader of leaders, with demonstrated ability to build healthy ministry teams, modeling, training, inspiring and providing accountability for diverse groups of volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to be a collaborative member of cross functional teams.
- Spiritual gifts of leadership, teaching, evangelism, hospitality, encouragement
- Strong Organizational skills
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively relate to congregants
- Alignment with Sunset’s vision and core values
- A man or woman who meets the requirements for elders in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1
- Passion for developing attendees into fully committed followers of Christ who are actively involved in their faith community
- Diligently seeks a vital and growing personal relationship with the Lord and demonstrates the fruit of the Spirit in his/her life
- Is a student of the Scriptures and a person of prayer
- Has a demonstrated passion for ministering to people through group ministries.
- Seeks accountability with pastoral staff as well as others who will work with him/her to protect and preserve character, integrity and personal walk with God
- Is committed to the Essential Beliefs and Core Values of Sunset Presbyterian Church
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
PastorOne God Ministry
- Fairfax, Virginia
- December 8
Campus PastorChurchology Staffing
- Fargo , North Dakota
- December 6
Worship LeaderFirst United Methodist Church of Slidell
- Slidell, Louisiana
- December 2
Operations PastorVertical Church
- Durham Area, North Carolina
- December 2
"Gang Church" Lead PastorInFaith
- Fresno, California
- December 1
Sunset Presbyterian Church
Sunset Presbyterian Church is a member of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church. We have a heart for the people of Sunset and this community. At Sunset, we strive to help people connect to Jesus through relevance, discipleship and authenticity. More...