The Pastor of Music and Worship shall serve as a Program Pastor at Highland Park Church and shall fulfill the responsibilities of the minister in the spirit of 1 Timothy 3:2-7. This pastor is also expected to live in harmony with the general and special
rules of the Church of the Nazarene as stated in the Manual: Church of the Nazarene. Employment shall be for a term of not more than one year, and shall be renewable upon recommendation of the Lead Pastor at the beginning of each fiscal year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To coordinate and oversee all aspects of public worship for Highland Park Church of the Nazarene for the 10:00am service. To be the Lord's servant for the edification of the congregation, to be responsible to lead the congregational music and direct the
band in the 10:00 AM service.
- To plan, organize, and schedule Worship services and to develop "orders of worship" in consultation with the Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor. To supervise the preparation of the weekly "orders of worship" which are used by pastors, musicians, sound,
lights and media techs.
- To ensure that the style of music is achieved and maintained that will accomplish the vision and mission of the church as outlined by the Lead Pastor. To plan exciting worship from week to week that moves people to a response and openness to the message.
- To develop and conduct all rehearsals in preparation for the weekly music needs of HP10 and provide a schedule for rehearsal and stage dates.
- To provide pastoral care to leaders and workers in this ministry area through devotional times, prayer times, retreat experiences, and other opportunities as available. To assist with hospital visits and other pastoral calling to members of the music ministry
- To be responsible for all technical aspects of HP10’s public worship services, including supervision of sound, lighting, media technicians, ensure that all media is ready for use. To provide for proper and routine maintenance and repair, in conjunction
with the Director of Media.
- When appropriate, to ensure worship is thematically designed.
- To produce and direct musical and/or dramatic presentations at special times of the year as planned on the Master Calendar. These could include: Christmas, Easter, Nights of Praise, or other special times.
- To recruit, audition, train and develop a band to accompany the HP10 congregation on a weekly basis. To develop as many volunteer band members as possible.
- To develop and submit an annual budget request for all HP10 music ministry areas and oversee expenditures in order to maintain budgeting integrity.
- To work with the creative team in the development of the Lead Pastor’s sermon series, to help oversee the stage and set design.
- To submit a monthly pastoral report as outlined by the Executive Pastor for the Highland Park Church Board.
- To develop an annual ministry plan with specific measurable goals and strategies to achieve them.
- To develop job descriptions for each paid and volunteer position in your area of ministry.
- To be intentional about evangelism by personally leading a minimum of five people to Christ and to train leaders in your tier to lead someone to Christ.
- To develop and keep a correct and up-to-date organizational flow-chart for your ministry area.
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED
Lay Ministry Leaders in Music Ministries
ANSWERABLE TO WHOM
The Executive Pastor
One of the most important aspects of this position is the spiritual character and integrity of the person who fills it. The Pastor of Music and Worship should also demonstrate administrative skills, be a team leader, possess spiritual sensitivity, and exhibit
these qualities in everyday life. The Pastor of Music and Worship acknowledges the responsibility to act in the best interest of Highland Park Church at all times, and is expected to conduct his/her private and public life in a manner which will not embarrass
the church. Additionally, all pastors, ministers, and directors are to have an experience of salvation, baptism, and sanctification. They are to share their faith, promote the spiritual good of the church, serve the community, and express the love of God
to those they have contact with.