Grayson United Methodist Church, located in Grayson, GA (a suburb of Atlanta) is seeking a full time, salaried, Minister for Senior High School Students.
The person chosen for this position will be responsible for
building young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to student ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Senior High School Student Minister reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior High School Student Minister will be responsible and subject to church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Senior Pastor, and
Staff Parish Relations Committee. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Weekly Staff Meetings, and Administrative Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth ministry at all levels with the primary task being:
-love students where they are
-encourage students in developing their relationship to God
-provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
-challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and world
- Be an advocate for students and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced student ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Mentor students in developing their leadership skills.
- Be aware of resources for developing the student ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for students (grades 9-12) and recruit teachers.
- Develop and coordinate a strategic youth ministry outreach plan.
- Keep records of youth participation and prepare and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Make yourself available to students in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
Qualifications and Aptitudes:
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a student ministry.
- Must have at least 3 – 5 years experience in a Student Ministry position.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with students, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Must undergo and successfully complete a background check.