Position: Director of SalemKids
Reports To: Senior Pastor
The Director of SalemKids is the lead visionary for birth to sixth grade ministry in a diverse, multicultural church and community setting, and serves as the primary developer of high-capacity leaders who execute the purpose, mission, and vision of Salem Church in the children’s ministry context. This role encompasses thorough, creative, meaningful oversight in the areas of leadership, discipleship, and administration of SalemKids within the scope of the Senior Pastor's vision:
- The development of God-honoring and kid-friendly environments and teams (volunteers and volunteer leaders)
- The fostering of family partnerships recognizing that this ministry comes alongside parents as the primary disciplers of children
- The nurturance of a Christ-centered worldview in children
Qualifications: The Director will participate in and lead at SalemKids programs and events, participate in ministry planning, and maintain a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of SalemKids ministry. The Director must have skill and experience for building teams and a heart for discipleship in line with Salem Church’s purpose, mission, and vision. In addition, the SalemKids Director must be able to thrive both in and under God-given authority. Passion, creativity and humility are absolutely necessary to this position. At least five years of leadership within a growing children’s ministry of an evangelical church is required.
SalemKids | Purpose. Mission. Vision.
In concert with our Senior Pastor’s heart for Salem Church, the purpose of SalemKids ministry is to teach children to love God and love people. Our mission is to impact the city and change the world by making disciples and multiplying churches. To this end, our vision is carried out in a for a four-step discipleship process: (1) Connect in worship. (2) Grow in a group. (3) Serve on a team. (4) Go…
- Connect: Create an environment where kids can connect with God in an authentic worship experience.
- Grow: Facilitate small group experiences where kids are fully accepted and loved and are challenged to grow in their relationship with God and in fellowship with each other.
- Serve: Help kids discover how God has uniquely gifted and designed them, and foster in them a passion to use those gifts to serve His Kingdom.
- Go: Champion kids living on mission. Everything we are, and everything we do must align with the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
- Program planning and oversight: Identify needs and develop a strategic ministry plan designed to engage families outside the church and disciple families within the church; possess a comprehensive understanding of all facets of SalemKids ministry programs including, but not limited to: infant and toddler nurseries; pre-k and kindergarten; kids worship and large and small groups for grade 1 to 6; Jump ministry for grades 5 and 6; special events, services, and programs specific to SalemKids (e.g., Fall Fest, kids choir presentations, worship workshop), as well as church-wide events with respect to SalemKids (Live Nativity kids program, Easter Sunday, Family Dedication Service, Church in the Park Outdoor Baptism Service, etc.)
- Volunteer oversight: Understand, lead, and develop volunteer roles and teams within SalemKids; plan and mobilize volunteers and volunteer teams to facilitate and create kid and family-friendly experiences and environments, including but not limited to, Sunday programs; recruit, train, equip, motivate, challenge and encourage volunteers in their service and continued spiritual growth
- Recruitment: Give leadership to recruitment and assimilation of volunteer staff, including developing an ongoing recruitment process and discipleship plan; informing others of needs and responsibilities, providing screening and background checks, orienting and training of volunteers, and providing and enforcing ministry policies
- Act as ministry liaison: Execute SalemKids programs with excellence; partner with Salem Students leaders to facilitate a seamless transition from sixth to seventh grade ministry programs; partner with Salem Worship ministry to ensure an authentic, intentional, meaningful Sunday kids worship experience; partner with Salem Security team to ensure safety for SalemKids areas and its occupants
- Biblical teaching and evangelism oversight: Understand child development and discipleship needs, processes, qualities and stages for children from birth to grade 6; train your team to do the same; develop an expertise with the use and implementation of the selected curriculum and equip, train, and support your volunteer team to become experts as well
- Develop parent and family partnerships: Gain feedback, involvement, plan special programs, events or groups, and to equip them as the spiritual leaders of their homes; help identify and prepare children for believer’s baptism, alongside their parents/guardians; spearhead opportunities for children and families to serve together locally and globally
- Continued Growth: Attend conferences and seek out mentors who encourage excellence in your leadership
- Seek: Actively continue to grow in your personal relationship with Christ; engage and participate as part of the Body of Christ at Salem, fostering your own spiritual growth and living missionally with your family
- Model: Practice spiritual growth and disciplines with purposeful intention for your team and the families you shepherd
- Encourage and equip: Develop processes and work together with Salem staff to encourage discipleship among your team and families in your care; disciple volunteers and equip them to disciple the children whom they serve; create a discipleship environment for your team and the children; create an emerging leader environment where team leaders are identified, supported, and empowered to provide excellent leadership for your team
Operations and Administration
- Curriculum: Adapt, edit, develop curriculum content as necessary, to meet the dynamic needs of children within the SalemKids ministry context.
- Facilities: Oversee provision of a safe, age-appropriate, fun, prepared, clean, orderly, and inviting atmosphere for kids and families; coordinate with other ministries who utilize SalemKids spaces to maintain this environment; recommend and/or make changes to the physical teaching/learning environment where needed and as allowable.
- Communication: Communicate well, regularly, creatively with your volunteer team and parents, as well as other ministry leaders and programs; be familiar with the use of social media to engage the SalemKids “audience” and community at large; develop and maintain modes and channels of communication to keep your team informed and on mission.
- Ministry planning: Conduct yearly and ongoing planning for ministry goals, team objectives, calendar scheduling, budgeting, and setting key goals for SalemKids, its staff, and for your personal leadership development that are in alignment with the overall vision, mission, and purpose of Salem Church.
- Trainings and meetings: Organize regularly and as needed for SalemKids staff; attend trainings, meetings, conferences as a Salem staff member and ministry leader.
- Policy and procedure: Develop and maintain a SalemKids ministry volunteer handbook; understand and train volunteers for all safety and general guidelines for SalemKids as outlined in the ministry handbook; be familiar with state guidelines regarding health and safety issues for children.
- Record keeping: Maintain and update team lists and volunteer rosters for all SalemKids ministry areas; track attendance and oversee check-in/tracking needs; understand the check-in system and manage children and family rosters; train others to have proficiency in the system.
- Budget and Resources: Develop and manage SalemKids ministry budget, in alignment with ministry goals, managing expenditures focused on proper stewardship; oversee ordering, storing, and managing of SalemKids resources and supplies.
- Supervision: Provide direct support and supervision for designated direct reports, including establishing goals, objectives, and completing performance reviews as needed; notify church administration promptly regarding employee relation issues/concerns, maintain proper documentation, partner with church administration to ensure effective resolution of any issues and concerns.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Children's MinistryScioto Ridge United Methodist Church
- Hilliard, Ohio
- September 28
Associate Children's PastorGT Church
- West Lawn, Pennsylvania
- September 27
Associate Preschool MinisterPinelake Church
- Brandon, Mississippi
- September 26
- San Diego, California
- September 26
Kid's Pastor-Argyle CampusCross Timbers Community Church
- Argyle, Texas
- September 26
Salem is a growing contemporary multi-generational church in New York City's "green borough" of Staten Island. Every Sunday, over 30 different nationalities are represented in 3 worship experiences. Salem Church exists to love God and love people. We accomplish this through our mission to impact the city and change the world by making disciples and multiplying churches. This happens as we connect in worship, grow in groups, serve on teams and go...! Our staff team is expanding, bringing deeper impact to the greatest More...