North Lake Presbyterian Church in Lady Lake, Florida seeks a full-time Director of Youth Ministry. The Director is responsible for the development, coordination, and leadership of our middle school and high school programs.
North Lake is a unique setting for youth ministry because of the predominant retirement communities in our vicinity, however there are many students in our mission field, and North Lake serves among them in a variety of ways. We are looking for someone with
a passion to connect youth and their families with Jesus Christ. The Director works with many volunteers and as part of a collaborative staff team, including a full-time Director of Children’s Ministry.
A candidate must have an authentic and growing relationship with Jesus Christ, a Bachelor’s Degree, a minimum of 3 years of experience in leading youth ministries, a driver’s license, and the character to pass a thorough background check.
Please e-mail a resume, a faith statement, and a picture (optional) to Susan Burton, Director of Children’s Ministry, firstname.lastname@example.org. For the position description and additional information about our church, please visit our website at http://www.northlakepc.org.
North Lake Presbyterian Church (NLPC)
Youth Ministry Director Job Description (April 2016)
STATUS: Full-time, Salaried
General Purpose of Position:
This position is responsible for building young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a vision, strategy and comprehensive approach for all programs, activities (including fellowship, discipleship and mission) and educational aspects related
to the Youth Ministry (YM) at NLPC. This position is also responsible for managing, coordinating and overseeing all 6th-12th grade ministries. Specifically, the Youth Ministry Director is responsible for Sunday, mid-week, mission, retreat and outreach
YM programs. She/he is also expected to coordinate with, and when necessary support, the Director of Children’s Ministry with regard to Sunday worship services, Vacation Bible School, and the mid-week after-school program (LOGOS).
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Director of Children’s Ministries reports to the Associate Pastor who oversees student and children’s ministries.
Competencies and Expectations:
- Passion for youth ministry and seeing both parents and children grow in the faith.
- A growing relationship with Jesus Christ evidenced by action, attitude, and behavior.
- Ability to fully embrace NLPC vision, values, and statement of faith.
- Proven expertise in administration, to include corporate coordination, budget, and communication.
- Reliable, trustworthy, self-starter, and who excels at following through on details.
- Ability to embrace innovation and creativity while adapting to growth and change.
- Ability to use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- Proven leadership skills utilizing a cooperative, collaborative team leadership style.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain healthy and motivating relationships with the youth, supervisors, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Ability to understand, maintain currency, and appropriately execute solutions to issues related to safety and security of the youth and North Lake property.
- Work with the Associate Pastor for Student and Children’s Ministries to develop and implement a vision for youth ministries in collaboration with the Leadership Team and Elders.
- Develop and recruit volunteers for a Youth Ministries (YM) team.
- Provide strategic leadership, planning initiatives and training for YM volunteers.
- Offer pastoral care and encouragement to youth, their families, YM staff and volunteers.
- Advocate for the needs and concerns of youth with the NLPC congregation and the community.
- Mentor youth in developing leadership skills.
- Develop processes necessary for effective YM operations.
- Effectively execute YM budget and financial oversight.
- Oversee the selection and implementation of curriculum.
- Develop communication plans to keep youth, staff, volunteers, parents and related ministries informed.
- Develop and implement all safety and security processes for YM in cooperation with North Lake staff and administrators.
- Oversee, implement and coordinate all YM programs, to include: family events, fund raisers, mission initiatives, retreats and camps for middle and high school students and their families.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation Classes for youth, in partnership with the pastor(s).
- Maintain an active interest in the spiritual nurturing of youth by being accessible to them beyond the church campus (attend school lunches, sporting events, concerts, “meet you at the pole” prayers, visitations at time of crisis, etc.).
- Write monthly articles for the NLPC newsletter and activity notices for the weekly bulletin.
- Coordinate with the Elder for Children and Youth regarding vision, initiatives, progress, and corporate concerns of interest to the Session.
- Provide monthly updates to the Elder for Children and Youth (attendance, major activities, etc.).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Completion of college-level Biblical study (major or minor) preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years commensurate experience (volunteer or paid youth leadership, project management)
- Valid driver’s license
- Provide NLPC permission to perform a background check (required of all staff and volunteers who interact with NLPC children and youth)