Summary - The Office Administrator supervises four part-time paid people and a variety of office volunteers. She/he is responsible for the smooth running of the office; production of paper and multi-media projects; worship bulletins for Sundays and periodic
other worship and funeral services; social-media and worship media; scheduling of building use; posting of contributions; updating the church membership database; other duties and tasks assigned by Pastor/Head of Staff and in collaboration with Program Staff.
The position is full-time, 8:30-4:30, Monday-Friday, with a half hour paid lunch.
The full job description is as follows:
POSITION DESCRIPTION: OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Full-Time Exempt)
PURPOSE: To provide leadership and support services for a smoothly running office, the financial administration and the property management of Southminster Presbyterian Church and other business and administrative support in accordance with the needs of
the pastors and other professional Church staff and of Committee chairs and other Church lay leaders.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Office Administrator is accountable to and supervised by the Pastor/Head of Staff, with close working relationships with other pastors andthe Church staff as well as lay leaders.
WORK WEEK: This position is for up to 40 hours per week.
BENEFITS: Benefits will be according to the policies for exempt employees as set forth in the Personnel Policy Manual.
1. Supervise and support the Financial Administrator, the Property Manager, the Property Technician, and the Office Assistant.
2. Establish and execute processes for efficient and cost-effective Church administrative systems.
3. Serve as administrator for the pastors and other professional staff.
4. Compile, edit, and prepare worship bulletins, weekly Constant Contact e-mails, The Window newsletters, and Annual Reports.
5. Maintain a monthly reminder system for the staff of tasks for each season of the Church year.
6. Provide other support services including oversight of office files and office equipment and, with approval of the Pastor/Head of staff, ordering of supplies and office equipment.
7. Maintain records of Church membership (including letters and certificates of transfer and certificates of baptism) and Church friends including mailing lists and updating of the Church directory; provide the Clerk of Session with monthly membership
8. Manage the contributions process, entering individual contributions, updating pledges, and maintaining giving records; produce and distribute quarterly statements to contributors; resolve questions re: statements of account.
9. Provide property support including scheduling building usage and handling usage contracts and arrangements, informing property staff of set-up requirements, and (with the Property Manager) being responsible for building keys.
10. Attend weekly staff meetings.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Possesses and exhibits the following skills: interpersonal, written, and oral communication; cooperation/teaming to work with staff and lay leadership and with other members of the congregation; and supervisory, organizational, time management, and
• Possesses a two-year or a four-year degree in a related field; has a minimum of two years’ experience in a similar environment.
• Is self-motivating and able to work with minimal direct supervision; is able to maintain confidentiality.
• Possesses skills in using Microsoft Office and the Shepherd’s Staff membership database.
• Is willing to learn and work with the organizational priorities and systems as determined by the Pastor/Head of Staff and the Session.
RELATIONSHIPS: The Office Administrator is a member of the support staff, relates to other members of the Church staff, and works closely with lay leadership, the Buildings and Grounds Subcommittee, and other members of the congregation.
EVALUATION: Performance evaluation and salary review will be conducted annually by the Pastor/Head of Staff with participation by a member of the Personnel Subcommittee if requested by either party.