St. Luke’s UMC is one of the largest United Methodist churches in the U.S. with a membership of nearly 6,000. We are an open community of Christians, gathering to seek, celebrate, live and share the love of God for all creation. We are called to make Disciples
of Christ for the transformation of the world.
St. Luke’s is a place where students experience age appropriate ministry and leaders walk with teens through their phases. The Associate Director of High School provides intentional ministry for grades 9-12. This associate will a) connect students in our
community to church; b) create a ministry presence for high school students Sunday morning and beyond; c) care for students by meeting them where they are; d) develop leadership skills in students and adults; e) and work with the Director of Young Adults to
prepare upperclassmen for transition into young adult life.
- Build adult leadership teams who are committed to the care and support of teens grades 9-12.
- Create an environment for teens that is welcoming, inclusive, attractive, and supports their spiritual, emotional, and social development.
- Create systems to identify and connect students who worship at St. Luke’s—not only in the high school environment, but within the wider church and during the week.
- Identify and develop the gifts and leadership of students in our church, creating opportunities for them to serve their peers and the wider church & community.
- Own the strategic plan for youth spiritual development—how we use events, retreats, mission trips, and weekly meetings to help students take the next step in their faith walk.
- Establish partnership with parents and develop resources to prompt and support faith conversations at home.
- Respond compassionately to students and families, building relationships with them and remaining open and accessible.
- Balance connection with students with tasks of administration and communication necessary to successful planning.
- Model a Christ-filled life, maintaining appropriate boundaries with work and others, caring for self, and growing in faith and in profession
- Proven, effective experience with youth in a ministry context
- Strong leadership skills, competent in relevant technology, and great in communication
- Strong visioning skills as well as the initiative to carry out vision
- Bachelor degree in youth ministry or related field is preferred
The ideal candidate is a person passionate about the Christian faith, who actively seeks to grow in personal relationship with God, who is committed to the mission and vision of St. Luke’s, and who serves out of a sense of call.
This is a salaried, full-time position. Some scheduling flexibility required.
Submit resume and portfolio sample to:
Director of Youth Ministry
St. Luke’s UMC
100 W. 86th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46260