Church of the Beloved (Downtown Chicago) is a three year old church plant that has grown rapidly during its short history. Our projected attendance this coming school year will be about 500 adults, with 150+ being college students. Currently, our staff is comprised of our Lead Pastor and six full and part-time staff members. Our congregation is multi-racial, hailing from 35 nations, and skews toward young professionals.
God has blessed COTB with tremendous growth in the past three years. Prayer and a wonderful mix of leaders and members that are highly community-oriented, transparent, personally authentic and Gospel-centered have contributed to the fast pace of growth. We are creating this new position because our church is at a pivotal position. Just as our numbers have grown, we desire our staff and lay leaders to grow stronger spiritually and develop long term ministry goals and objectives as we enter into the next phase of our church’s life.
The Executive Pastor (XP), working closely with the Lead Pastor and Elders, will take a lead role in ensuring that the strategic ministry objectives of the Church of the Beloved are effectively and efficiently attained. These objectives will include annual and longer term strategic objectives in areas such as ministry development, staff and leadership development, and spiritual development. The XP will lead in aligning staff, ministry teams, practices, activities, and policies with the COTB vision and mission statement. This requires a firm understanding of, and agreement with, the COTB mission statement, vision, and core values.
While the Lead Pastor will develop ministry vision for the congregation (both internal and external goals), the XP will focus on clarifying and strategically executing that vision, using all available resources (staff, congregation, partnerships, etc.). The XP will provide protection for the Lead Pastor allowing him to focus on his calling without undue administrative, supervisory or management involvement.
Strong leadership and management background, problem-solving and decision-making abilities, proven organizational skills, initiative, humble and positive attitude, team building and leadership development in a growing organization are essential.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership, Management and Shepherding Functions:
• Oversees, directs, mobilizes, equips/trains and supports the church staff in their daily work.
• Establishes short and long range timelines in areas involving the organizational development and spiritual growth of the church, its ministries and programs, staff, volunteers, and members.
• Promotes the Church of the Beloved’s vision in a way that excitement, passion, commitment and excellence are generated among staff members, volunteers, and church members.
• Serves on the Board of Elders and actively guides and consults ministry leaders to ensure that pastoral and organizational matters and initiatives are carried out.
• Promotes and ensures a strong volunteer organization that can attract and retain quality volunteers to carry out the ministry functions of the organization and its ministries.
Strategic Planning Functions:
• Works with Lead Pastor to develop and clarify strategic ministry initiatives, both internal (small groups, ministry teams, giving, etc.) and external (partnerships, church planting, etc.). Work with staff to execute these initiatives.
• Develops and maintains the primary key documents and tracking of annual plans and long range strategic plans in consultation with the Lead Pastor and leadership.
• Ensures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, and other resources.
• Strategically partner with other organizations to develop in areas of evangelism, church planting, outreach and missions.
• Provides oversight, direction and accountability to the pastoral staff and non-pastoral staff.
• Inspires, mobilizes and equips staff members, both pastoral and otherwise, to meet and succeed essential responsibilities, objectives and goals.
• Cultivates staff culture of collaboration, mutual support and shared success.
• Assists in determining leadership and departmental staffing and personnel needs.
• Reviews the work of his direct reports and takes deliberate and corrective action as needed, including conducting regular performance evaluations and implementing performance improvement plans.
• Makes salary/raise recommendations for those reporting to him.
• Provides general supervision, guidance, support and encouragement to all staff members, providing work-related counsel for pastors and staff.
Other Functions and Responsibilities:
• Assists Lead Pastor with weekly meetings, all-day planning and retreats as needed. (continued next page)
• Effectively preaches the Word of God from the pulpit (30% of the preaching at COTB Downtown and as needed at other campuses)
• Maintains an organizational chart that clearly reflects working relationships, healthy alignment of reporting and communication among the staff team.
• Oversees leadership and key staff transitions and orientations.
• Is available to the Lead Pastor to work on projects that require his attention, but does not have the immediate time to engage or develop.
• Participates in pastoral duties as assigned.
• Personal commitment to gospel transformation in all areas of life
• Enthusiastically embrace the doctrine, mission and values of the Church of the Beloved
• Demonstrated relational skill in cross-cultural contexts
• BA/BS degree
• Theological and pastoral training (MA or MDiv is preferred, but we are open to other ways of demonstrating this)
• Minimum of 7 years in a high level leadership role of a church (we prefer formal pastoral experience, but we are open to other forms of church ministry leadership)
• Ability to live and thrive in large city context with a young, diverse congregation. Conversant with large city ministry challenges –transience, cross-cultural issues, socio-economic diversity, etc.
• Self-starter who is creative, motivated and diligent in work product with high commitment to professional excellence.
• Excellent leadership and management skills with a demonstrated ability to work in partnership with leaders and staff. Experience supervising, collaborating with and empowering a staff team in a manner that is flexible, supportive and goal-driven.
• Strong leader of leaders who is humble, teachable, approachable, able to coach and empower others. Committed to healthy team dynamics (conflict resolution, collaboration, ability to fail, pursuit of excellence, open communication, etc.).
• Breeds positive, collaborative, innovative ministry culture characterized by prayerfulness, hope for the city and others, gospel humility and boldness, enthusiasm and love for others.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, relationships and resources simultaneously.
• Emotionally mature and wise, exercising good judgment and integrity with ability to inspire and lead leaders, congregants, and staff.
• Committed to personal holiness, growth in grace, reconciliation in relationships.
• Excellent written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills.
• Strong planning, problem solving, decision-making skills and discernment.
• Competitive salary package
• Health insurance
• Conference budget
• Vacation/sabbatical allotment
Please submit a detailed cover letter and a full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Both documents should be combined as one PDF document. Requests for more information can be sent to the above email address.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Executive Director of Creative ArtsCornerstone Christian Fellowship
- Chandler, Arizona
- October 18
Executive PastorHarvest Community Church
- Oak Creek, Wisconsin
- October 17
Administrative pastorLiberty Church
- Ozone Park, New York
- October 13
Executive PastorChurch of the Open Door
- Elyria, Ohio
- October 13
Executive PastorChurch at Viera
- Melbourne, Florida
- October 11
Church of the Beloved
Church of the Beloved (Downtown Chicago) is a three year old church plant that has grown rapidly during its short history. Our projected attendance this coming school year will be about 500 adults, with 150+ being college students. Currently, our staff is comprised of our Lead Pastor and six full and part-time staff members. Our congregation is multi-racial, hailing from 35 nations, and skews toward young professionals. God has blessed COTB with tremendous growth in the past three years. Prayer and a wonderful mix of lea More...