The Adult Ministries Pastor is responsible for the spiritual formation of the adults at Valley Bible Church. The primary strategic objective is to define the standards by which personal discipleship will be measured and to align ministries around a relational focus to achieve those standards in our people. Ultimately this person will build the infrastructure for spiritual growth and relational connection for the adults who attend Valley Bible Church.
- Responsible to the Senior Pastor
- Serve as part of the pastoral leadership, preaching and congregational care team
- Work with the other department heads to achieve an integrated approach to ministry
- Supervise the adult ministry staff, both paid staff and volunteers
- Spiritual Formation Process – Must set and establish a clear pathway with steps/classes/groups and opportunities for adults to follow as we equip and point them to spiritual maturity. This adult ministries process should address new believers to long time Christians and should cover doctrine and knowledge as well as life issues, application and obedience.
- Leadership of Adult Ministries – Provide leadership for adult ministries which will be targeted to address the spiritual growth and healthy Christian relationship needs of all adults, including young adults (post college years), married couples and families as well as senior adults. Current ministries include small groups, new believers classes, men’s ministry, women’s ministry, senior adults ministry and griefshare.
- Small Groups – Small groups is one of our primary vehicles for adults to promote community connection, application and growth. The adult ministries pastor must have the ability to recruit, train and multiply our small group leaders to ensure health, balance and number of groups are available. This person must also ensure that small groups are integrated into the fabric of all adult ministries to achieve the goals of spiritual growth and connection for the adults in our congregation
- Preaching and Teaching – Will be one of the primary preaching backups for the Senior Pastor and will be scheduled or called upon to preach on Sunday mornings as needed. Will also teach/speak in various capacities (small groups, adult classes, retreats) on a regular basis.
- Oversee Baptisms – Work with our Deacons (who lead the baptism classes/interviews) and our Worship Director to schedule, streamline and effectively communicate our baptism process to those wishing to become baptized.
- Oversee Hospitality (Front Door) Ministries – Work with and lead our volunteer leader of Hospitality Ministries (ushers/greeters/parking/coffee cart/medical response team/security) to ensure this team on behalf of Valley Bible Church provides a welcoming, helpful and safe environment to all who come.
- Oversee Enlistment Ministry – Work with and lead our volunteer leader of Enlistment ministries to help our people put their spiritual gifts to work in the church and become fellow partners in the ministry.
- Articulate a compelling vision for adult ministry/discipleship
- Build an adult ministries leadership team
- Clearly define desired ministry outcomes for church leaders, members and attenders
- Develop an annual strategic plan for achieving the outcomes including a core discipleship/spiritual growth curriculum and plan that emphasizes the three key elements of our mission – Evangelize, Equip and Exalt.
- Prepare an annual budget for the adult ministries area
- Recruit, train, motivate and effectively manage volunteer adult ministry leaders and staff
- Regularly measure achievement of the desired ministry goals and implement changes as necessary to improve overall ministry effectiveness
KEY CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
- A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a passionate relationship with Him that is evident to all who know him.
- Consistent spiritual and moral character and lifestyle that complies with the Biblical qualifications of an elder as described in 1 Timothy 3:1-13 and Titus 1:7-9.
- A man of prayer and a man of the Word, sensitive to what the Spirit is doing in his life as well as the life of the church.
- Agreement with the doctrine, mission, vision, values and elder-led governance of Valley Bible Church.
- A track record of ministry team building and growing sustainable ministries
- Relationally, a personal magnet that draws people into ministry
- Spiritual gift mix of leadership, teaching and administration
- Competent in organization, administration and interpersonal skills
- Balanced views of evangelism and discipleship as well as knowledge and application
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with widely diverse groups of people
- “Fits” and enjoys the Bay Area culture and diversity
- MDiv desired, bachelor’s or higher degree in Divinity, Ministry, Biblical Studies or Christian Education Required.
- Must pass the Church’s background check.
For individuals referred to the opportunity and for those seeking to explore next steps, please provide the following:
- Current resume: Please indicate the role and responsibilities you held and the size and theological perspective of the church or organization in which you served. Include both the church size (campus total) as well as your particular ministry area(s). (Example: Church worship services of adults were 2,200, campus total was 3,000 and the small group ministry which I led involved 600 people in 70 groups).
- Describe your faith and relationship with Jesus Christ and how you came to know the Lord.
- Describe how your relationship with Christ impacts your life and ministry and how prayer is part of your life.
- Based on what you know about Valley Bible Church, what excites you about this opportunity and what is compelling about this position that motivates you to apply? How do you feel uniquely qualified for this position?
- What are the key characteristics of your ministry approach or philosophy and how is that expressed in the local church?
- Describe how you have led, trained and motivated the staff/volunteers you have managed.
- Describe how you have started or grown a sustainable, long-term ministry.
- References: List at least 5 references (including at least one previous supervisor, subordinate and peer and at least one from your current church) and your relationship to each. We will not contact them without your permission and only if you are one of the final possible candidates.
- Additional documents:
- Please include a recent family picture.
- Please provide video links to sermons preached within the last year.
Submit responses to all of the above (in Word or PDF format) via email to:
Executive Assistant to the Senior Pastor
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Operations PastorVertical Church
- Durham Area, North Carolina
- December 2
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1
Associate Pastor for Community Connection and Life DevelopmentFBC Mableton
- Mableton, Georgia
- November 30
Associate MinisterAlliance for Transatlantic Theological Training
- 2 Blackburne Place, Not Assigned
- November 30
Executive Pastor of MinistriesBakersfield First Assembly
- Bakersfield, California
- November 29
Valley Bible Church
We are a well-established multi-ethnic, Bible teaching, non-denominational church that is known in our region with an average weekly attendance of 1,400. Our Sunday services are intentionally programmed to welcome people into the presence of God through biblical teaching and worship. We are conservative in theology, yet we place a high value on authentic, engaging and expressive worship that positions us to hear from God through the preaching and teaching of His Word. More...