DIRECTOR OF MUSIC POSITION
First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn
The First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn is seeking a person who feels called by Christ to serve our church community as Director of Music. This is a new position that combines the two former positions of Choir Director and Organist.
Our church is blessed with an exceptional organ: a 1964, 68 rank, 3 manual Aeolian Skinner that is being maintained in excellent condition. We also have an organ in the chapel, a 1980, 10 rank, 2 manual, built by Dan Pilzecker.
Following is a condensed version of the position description. The full description may be viewed on the church’s website: http://www.firstpresdearborn.org/director-music-position.
Condensed Position Description: Director of Music
Persons seeking this position must discern a genuine call to serve Christ and His church with his or her musical and spiritual gifts. Candidates will be required to demonstrate a professional level of musical talent and working knowledge and theological understanding of diverse styles of traditional and contemporary church music. A bachelor’s or graduate degree in organ, sacred music, choral music education or related concentration and/or AGO certification is preferred.
The position is ¾ time (expected to require approximately 30 hours per week), commencing January 1, 2017, with a starting salary of $34,000 per year.
The Director of Music will be responsible for:
- providing organ and piano music at a professional level for all worship services, including seasonal and special services;
- directing the church choir;
- directing, or recruiting and supervising the direction of the children’s and youth choirs by a volunteer;
- coordinating with and supporting musicians on the contemporary worship team;
- seeing to the repair and maintenance of the church organs, pianos, and other instruments;
- maintaining the church’s music library in good order;
- administrative duties such as ordering music and supplies;
- managing the music budget;
- attending staff and relevant committee meetings and preparing communications;
- creating an atmosphere that will attract and retain current and new choir members and musicians;
- developing and implementing ideas to build a strong, inspirational music program;
- providing musical coaching and instruction that will enhance the skills and performance of the choirs and musicians;
- providing dynamic spiritual leadership that serves as an example to choir members and musicians to minister to each other and to the church;
- functioning as part of a ministry team comprised of the pastor, contemporary worship team, tech team, Worship and Arts Committee and other church staff;
- preparing for worship services in a disciplined and well organized manner that will enable the choir and musicians to perform optimally;
- actively and positively lead the music ministry, recommending changes that would support and further the vision of the church.
The Music Director will have the opportunity to earn additional income through fees charged individual members for weddings and funerals, etc.
1. Mail cover letter, resumé, and names of three references (two must be work or skill related) by August 30, 2016 to:
First Presbyterian Church of Dearborn
ATTN: Jeremy Hughes, Chair, Search Committee
600 North Brady Road
Dearborn, MI 48124
2. Email cover letter, resumé, and names of three references (two must be work or skill related) by August 30, 2016 to: email@example.com
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Campus Worship LeaderCalvary Chapel Church
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- September 28
Worship & Creative ArtsVintage Faith Church
- Santa Cruz, California
- September 27
- San Diego, California
- September 26
Director of MusicOur Savior Lutheran Church
- Livermore, California
- September 25
Student and Children's Worship PastorGrace Point Church
- Bentonville, Arkansas
- September 24