The associate will serve as a member of the WCC leadership team supporting and partnering with our lead pastor. The gifts, skills and passions of the associate pastor will lean in the direction of administration as he will provide leadership and oversight to our volunteer-based ministries. The position is somewhat flexible; our desire is to hire someone with gifts complementary to those of our lead pastor. Thus, the job description will be adapted to fit the right person.
Qualities / skills / experience:
- Thinks in terms of team
- Is administrative and detail-oriented
- Strategic, yet simple in approach
- Strong implementation skills
- Comfortable leading from any seat at the table
- Likes to have fun
- Can keep multiple plates spinning
- Willingly shares responsibilities / seeks to develop leaders
- Creative and innovative
- Progressive thinker – already considering what the church could look like tomorrow
- Passionate faith
- Fails occasionally (and willing to own it)
- Emotionally healthy / balanced
- Problem solver / enjoys a good challenge
Responsibilities / opportunities:
- Oversees the program side of church ministry, aligning it with vision
- Develops and implements a strategic plan
- Recruits, trains, supports volunteers and lay leaders
- Provides oversight to family ministries (and help to families!)
- Participates in general pastoral duties (including preaching if desired)
- Character – consistent with Biblical qualifications of an elder; trustworthy, dependable, high integrity
- Competency – demonstrated ability to perform in role
- Experience – preferred 5 years of vocational ministry experience
- Education – minimum of bachelor’s degree in Christian ministry
- Doctrine – consistent with the WCC statement of faith
- Family Life – after his relationship with God, his first priority is marriage / family
- Personality – easy to connect with, relate to, and work alongside
- Tech, video or graphic skills
- Youth ministry experience
- Provide a cover letter detailing who you are, why this position might fit your passion and gifts, and a brief testimony regarding your relationship with Christ.
- Submit a current resume and family photo
- Answer the following questions:
- What about ministry do you enjoy the most?
- What would those who have served alongside you say are your greatest strengths? (Please ask them!)
- In what “type” of church do feel most comfortable?
(Your answer could involve style, governance / structure, values, etc.)
NOTE: You don’t have to be able to check off every box in the job description, but you should be able to check most of them. Administrative and leadership skills are a must, however, as this role is “executive pastor” in nature.
- Waterford is a suburb located about 45 minutes northwest of Detroit and home to approximately 75,000 people, the majority of whom are unchurched.
- WCC is approaching its 150th birthday. The church has been through various transitions in its long history, and we try to honor the past, we are more excited about the future.
- Current attendance is about 200; approximately 1/3 is new to WCC in the past five years.
- We are life-oriented, family- focused and community-minded. Our goal is to connect people to God, to others and to their mission.
- We are committed to teaching and living God’s Word – but we also want to connect with life as it is in today’s world (as reflected in our music, programming, style, etc.)
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Pastor to MenCompass Church
- Salinas, California
- October 20
Discipleship PastorBethel Church
- Owatonna, Minnesota
- October 19
Elementary DirectorRiver Pointe Church
- Richmond, Texas
- October 19
Administrative PastorFolsom Foursquare Church
- Folsom, California
- October 18
Associate Campus PastorJourney Church
- Boynton Beach, Florida
- October 18