Director of Youth Ministries
Reports To: Senior Director
Classification – Full-time Exempt
Promote the Kingdom of God in leading the youth and youth ministries volunteers to further the Mission and Vision of Faith Community UMC.
- Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth
- Considers this position a life ministry, not just a job
- Models standards and expectations of leaders within FCUMC, including:
- membership, worship attendance, small group participation
- financial generosity, and serving out of call and giftedness
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Overall Leadership of Youth Ministries
- Vision and plan new ways to grow Youth Ministries to strengthen our Faith Community in worship, group life and service.
- Provide clear, effective, and timely communication of youth opportunities and programming.
- Plan, coordinate, administer and evaluate a comprehensive youth program.
Manage Adult and Youth Leadership Teams
- Provide central oversight to the Youth Ministries (vision casting, recruiting and training leaders, communication, programming, fund raising, conflict resolution)
- Meet regularly with volunteer team and individual team members to build relationships
- Proactively seek input from leaders, and make decisions based on this input
- Inspire leaders to proactively build relationships with youth and parents
Manage the Youth Ministries Programming
- Weekly small groups that focus on spiritual development
- Weekly large events that build community and teach from the Bible
- Sunday School and Confirmation classes
- Trips, retreats, and special events
- Mission-focused events and trips
- Youth Ministries budget and business issues
- Visionary planning of new ways to reach youth
- Clear, effective, and timely communication of events, including long-term planning
- Working as a team, provide and receive expertise on church-wide spiritual development
- Integrate the Youth Ministries within the total ministry of FCUMC
Build and Maintain Healthy Relationships with Youth
- Be present in youth’s lives, both at FCUMC and in the community
- Demonstrate strong interest in youth’s lives and spiritual development
- Provide an atmosphere where are others are accepted and healthy discipline is practiced
- Coach and advise youth and parents when appropriate
- Active Participant of Logistics Team.
- Active Participant of Lead Team.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Track record of successful and effective interpersonal relationships required
- Demonstrated excellence in leading others required
- Paid ytudent ministry leadership experience preferred
- Excellent team-based leadership abilities, contributing to a “strengths-based” environment
- Exceptional management skills, including the ability to set and maintain boundaries
- Outstanding work ethic; self-starter
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Passionate and relevant teacher who effectively communicates spiritual concepts to youth
- Professional behavior and communication in a team-based staff environment
- Great relational skills with both youth and adults
- Humble spirit that continually desires to learn and improve
- Strong understanding and support of Wesleyan theology
- Emotional and spiritual maturity
- Proficient computer skills
This position requires (check all that apply):
X Normal periods of sitting and standing in an office environment.
X Extended period of standing.
X Lifting and/or pushing objects up to
30 lbs. on an occasional basis.
All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions for which reasonable accommodation will be made. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job
proficiently. This job description is not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties and responsibilities or requirements. Staff may be required to perform other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor. This job description reflects assignment
of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is not approved or for official use without the approval of Human Resources, as indicated below.