Union Chapel’s Mission
Helping people to know Jesus, to grow as followers of Jesus, and to
go making Jesus known to others.
As a member of the UC ministry team, the primary objective is to be a servant. The work is not just a job, but a ministry, fulfilling the mission of UC. The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas related to financial reporting and finances of the
church. This is a “working manager” role, where you will lead and work with the accounting team to accomplish departmental goals and tasks.
Character - A person who:
- Practices transparent, authentic Christian values and principles publicly and privately.
- Worships Jesus wholeheartedly. It is the passion of his/her life to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.
- Yearns for excellence in all he/she does, yet sees the value of the person as more important than the perfection of the ministry.
- Can work with others with sensitivity and humility.
- Honors and practices confidentiality.
- Has a servant’s heart and a teachable spirit.
- Practices “going the second mile” in accomplishing work and creating and maintaining positive relationships
Gifting & Abilities:
- Accounting Background (bachelor’s degree in accounting a minimum, and 5 years’ experience using a computer accounting program.)
- Organizational Skills
- Computer Skills (Word and Excel a must with an understanding of computers and programming with an ability to learn new programs if necessary.)
- A do what it takes attitude
- Leadership Skills (Supervisory, experience in accounting management)
Responsibilities, Oversight, and/or Duties:
- Accounts Payable:
- Ensure that bills are paid on time and are recorded regularly.
- Act as backup for processing accounts payable in absence of Accounting Specialist.
- Maintain proper payroll records.
- Ensure payroll taxes are submitted on time.
- Review bi-monthly payroll for accuracy prior to processing.
- Verify federal income, social security, medicare, state and county taxes have been accurately and timely filed by Paycor.
- Assists in keeping the Paycor electronic records current and accurate.
- General Accounting Functions:
- Proper record keeping and filing on a timely basis.
- Prepare for annual Review providing accountant with requested records.
- Leading the senior staff in the budgeting process and maintain budget spreadsheet that includes salaries, payroll taxes and benefit amounts.
- Provide Program Staff with requested records so they can track their yearly budget.
- Responsible for recording and posting various recurring journal entries as part of the month-end closing procedures.
- Processes the recoding and payment of monthly sales taxes.
- Administers the reporting of restricted and budget funds on a monthly basis.
- Tax Return Preparation.
- Compensation and Benefits Administration:
- Work with senior staff, provide leadership in compensation management and benefits plan administration for the staff.
- Coordinates health, vision, dental, life, AD & D, and short and long term disability insurance enrollments and terminations. Communicates with plan vendors concerning routine administration of programs.
- Oversees annual open enrollment. Reviews enrollment forms for accuracy and coordinates enrollment with plan vendors.
- Human Resource Management:
- Prepares employee hiring paperwork required to place employees on payroll and benefit programs and establishes personnel file. Also prepares hiring paperwork for contract (1099) associates.
- Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in timely fashion.
- Keeps the Employee Handbook current and relevant regarding any legislative changes.
- Helps employees navigate changes to their 403(b) pension accounts offered through the United Methodist Personal Investment Plan (UMPIP).
- Maintain in-depth knowledge and expertise in employee benefits services, makes recommendations on pending legislative actions regarding benefits, conduct benefit research, responds to benefits issues, and answer benefits questions.
- Participates in the employee candidate interviewing process on an as-needed basis.
- Lead the team that counts contributions, inputs donations, deposits cash and checks, accounts for transactions in retail activities and files resulting paperwork.
- Leadership meetings:
- Prepare and present needed financial documents and reports for staff and lay-leadership meetings.
- Intern Administration:
- Work with staff team to determine internship opportunities.
- Facilitate onboarding of interns and assigning them to their direct report.
- Ensure intern managers conduct all requirements.
- Periodic meetings, assignments, etc.
- Contract administration.
- Perform related duties as needed or assigned.