Associate Pastor – Discipleship Ministries
First Baptist Church Pasadena
The Associate Pastor – Discipleship Ministries oversees and leads the Discipleship Ministry, FBC Pasadena staff and office so that FBCP can carry out its mission to make followers of Jesus who love, worship, and serve God.
The Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries is a part of the FBCP staff team and works in the church as a Christian leader under the authority of Jesus Christ. Ultimately we are all accountable to God and seek to live for the glory of God. The Associate
Pastor - Discipleship Ministries is accountable to the Senior Pastor to carry out the responsibilities described in this position description. Regular hours will be established and reports submitted as required.
- Christ-like. Jesus told his disciples “follow me.” Paul called the church to imitate him. It is essential for the Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries to live openly, honestly and humbly as a person of integrity. The Associate Pastor
- Discipleship Ministries will live to bring glory to God and the body of Christ. The Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries at FBCP must be first and foremost a follower of Jesus and a model to others.
- Compassionate. Jesus is crystal clear about how we are to live in this world. “Love one another” is his mandate. The Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries must be a people person, able to relate well to those inside and outside the
church in a spirit of love. The ministry at FBCP is about loving God and loving others.
- Team Focused. Moses served with Aaron, Miriam and a team. David served with Joab and a team. Jesus chose twelve to be
with him. The Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries will serve as a team player who seeks the good of the whole and as a team builder building teams to do the work of the ministry.
- Leadership development and recruitment of volunteers
- Participate in long and short term planning in Church Leadership Team
- Preach occasional sermons on Sunday morning as part of the preaching team
- Participate in ministerial duties (hospital visits, weddings, funerals)
- For the Associate Pastor – Discipleship Ministries this is to oversee the spiritual formation and discipleship of adults, small groups, mentoring and developing service opportunities
- Develop a volunteer leadership for small groups and a volunteer leadership team for different service ministries. Team(s) should be involved in discerning God’s long-term plan for the ministry, planning events and programs, running the week-to-week functions
of the ministry.
- Train volunteers for leadership roles in small Groups
- Prioritize reaching new and unchurched people
- Set goals with the team for growing numerically
- Communicate accurate payroll information with Accounting
- Supervise office and building staff
- Ensure best practices are being followed in church office
- Participate in staff meetings
- Maintain and upgrade Policy and Procedures Manual
- Manage the church building to keep it in good condition.
- Supervise management of the space usage calendar
- Manage all tenants in a manner upholding FBCP standards
- Increase revenue through new tenants
- Track tenant payments due and received with accounting
- Pursue and coordinate location filming with filming agent
- Supervise wedding and reception booking
- Monitor AR and AP with accounting firm.
- Forward bills with appropriate paperwork
- Review and approve payroll and time cards as per budget
- Track bill payment and maintain general budget
- File and approve expense reports and check dispersal requests
- The Associate Pastor - Discipleship Ministries serves to help FBCP accomplish her mission to make disciples of Jesus who love, worship and serve God. This is a full-time overtime-exempt position of approximately 40-50 hours per week. The Associate Pastor
- Discipleship Ministries must simultaneously function as someone who has an understanding of long-term planning, and how the building, staff, and ministries fit into this plan, and as someone who strives for excellence in details. We work in harmony with
staff, board, and church members; we live according to the teaching of Jesus, Scripture, and in a way that honors God. Other responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
- 5 years minimum ministry experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, MDiv, MAT or similar degree preferred
- 3 years supervision/administrative experience required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
For Information Please Contact:
Joyce Hasper at firstname.lastname@example.org