JOB DESCRIPTION: PART-TIME
The Organist shall most importantly, be a committed Christian who will impart that spirituality to all aspects of the position. (S)he will be fluent in genres of music with strong Scriptural foundations for worship services and special programs.
The Organist should have a Masters Degree in organ with an organist/organ performance emphasis, or equivalent work experience. (S)he will work as a team player in planning worship services with pastors and other staff members and will need relational skills
to work with youth through adults. (S)he will suggest hymns and songs for worship that follow sermon themes along with preludes and postludes that lend at atmosphere of reverence, joy and celebration.
Pastor and the Session through the Personnel Committee of the Session, and is a staff liaison to the Worship and Music Committee of the Session.
To provide organ music for worship services: prelude, postlude, offertory, hymns and songs, responses.
MAJOR DUTIES AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Provide organ music for worship services
- Provide organ music for special services such as Christmas Vespers, Spring Cantata, Choir Sunday, Advent Dinner, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday Ecumenical Service, Tenebrae, Easter, and others as requested and as schedule permits
- Accompany congregation members and choirs
- Participate in weekly church staff meetings and share leadership in giving devotions
- Provide organ music for weddings and funerals when called upon
- Work closely with administrative support staff making sure they have needed information for bulletins and equipment for musical events
- Develop articles for church communications
- Attend monthly Worship and Music Committee meetings
- Schedule organ maintenance
- Pray always, worship God continually and be joyful in all things, giving glory to God!
Accompanists: Ensure adequate coverage of rehearsals, worship services and musical offerings
RELATED DUTIES AND AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Attend all staff meetings, meetings of the Worship and Music Committee and other meetings when requested by the Head of Staff
- Maintain regular office hours (negotiated with the pastor)
- Other duties as assigned by Head of Staff