Pastor of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries
Mission: Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Vision: To be a community of faith where every person can experience opportunities to both receive and to offer the love of God in Jesus Christ.
Job Summary: Waukee United Methodist Church leadership has identified Children, Youth, and Family Ministry as critical to our church’s vision. We are located in the fastest growing community in Iowa (a far western suburb of the Des Moines
Metropolitan area and are in the midst of a capital campaign to build a new ministry center in the heart of the Waukee Community School District. Our goal is to build a sustainable CYF ministry and a church culture that embraces diverse families with children
from infant to young adult. The Pastor of CYF will work with church staff and members to create a spiritually healthy environment which fosters Christian discipleship in children and youth. This is a 20-25 hour per week job.
- With oversight from the Pastor, develop and implement a plan for ministry for children and youth in grades K-12.
- Plan and lead (with the help of volunteers) both a children and a youth weekly gathering.
- Promote attendance and lead our church’s youth to periodic Christian conferences, concerts, camps, missions, and retreats.
- Set an example to the children and youth by weekly attendance in worship.
- Work with the Pastor, the Director of Christian Education, and the Director of Music to plan periodic children and youth led worship services and other forms of participation.
- Attend and support when possible children and youth events in the Waukee community.
- Facilitate outreach within the greater Waukee community --- build bridges with non-UMC community organizations (e.g. Waukee School District, YMCA, Chamber, etc.)
- Understand and ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is publicized, posted, & followed.
- Other duties as required.
KSAOs (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Qualifications necessary to the position)
- Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ; possess a mature, vibrant, and growing faith .
- A passion for working with children, youth, and parents.
- A four year college degree, (youth ministry certification a plus).
- 2-5 years of work experience in children and/or youth ministry.
- Solid understanding of the basics of Christian Protestant theology.
- Working knowledge of child development and current youth culture.
- Ability to use technology relevant to the positon, including email, Word, Excel, Power Point or Keynote, social networking media and apps such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan and implement successful programs and events for children and/or youth.
- Ability to communicate Biblical truth and doctrine in a variety of creative, meaningful, understandable, and age appropriate ways.
- Ability to work effectively, positively and cooperatively with other staff and lay leaders.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Accountable to the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Team
- Annual evaluation by the Senior Pastor and SPRT.
Salary range: $20,000 - $30,000 depending on candidate qualifications