Newtown Square Presbyterian Church
Full Time Director of Youth and Family Ministry
Purpose: To guide, mentor, and educate children and youth in Jesus’ teachings and Christian discipleship. The end objective is to create a solid faith foundation that will sustain them through high school, college, and their adult lives.
Accountability: The Director of Youth and Family Ministry is accountable to the church Session through its Personnel Committee. Day-to-day supervision and collaboration are delegated to the Pastor/Head of Staff.
Responsibilities: The Director will design and implement a vision for ministry to children, youth, and their families that is consistent with NSPC’s mission and Session’s objectives. He or she will exhibit a deep and growing relationship
with Jesus Christ and the passion to help God’s children of all ages grow in faith and discipleship.
Specifically, the Director will:
1. Oversee all facets of ministry to children and youth from birth through 12th grade. Create innovative programming, lead youth groups, oversee Christian Education, direct children’s programs, and organize and lead youth and family mission opportunities.
2. Recruit and develop a ministry team and communicate effectively with parents in regard to activities and ministry opportunities for children and families.
3. Work closely with the chairs of the Children & Youth and Christian Education committees, as well as the Sunday school superintendent.
4. Plan outreach events and programs for the wider community.
5. Direct all facets of Vacation Bible School and the children’s Christmas Eve pageant.
6. Create and lead an annual Youth Sunday worship service.
7. Attend and participate each week in worship or Sunday school as agreed upon with the Pastor/Head of Staff. Coordinate or lead the children’s message. Preach on occasion and as requested.
8. Use current technology, social media, and other key technologies on a daily basis to inspire and connect with youth and their families.
9. Attend all church events that include children, youth, and families of the church, along with events held for nursery school families.
10. Seek out additional opportunities to nurture, counsel, and support youth and families in consultation with the pastor.
1. Must pass child abuse clearance and police background check.
2. Must be willing to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality.
3. Must have excellent people skills and demonstrate the ability to communicate the Good News of Jesus Christ to children and youth in imaginative and creative ways.
4. Must possess the gifts of leadership, oral and written communication, organization, and administration. Must be a self-starter, flexible, and able to meet deadlines.
5. Must be a team player and work well with the Pastor, volunteer leadership, children, youth, and adults.
6. Should be knowledgeable about Sunday school curriculum and products available for children and youth ministry.
7. Must support the mission of the church and the theology of the PC(USA).
8. Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in education, biblical studies, or youth ministry, and/or a Master of Divinity degree. Must have prior experience teaching, coaching, or leading a group of children and youth.
9. Musical gifts are a plus.
Who we are:
NSPC is a vibrant, growing congregation committed to its families' faith development through weekly worship, a strong program of Christian education, intergenerational fellowship, ministries designed for all ages, and mission to our local and wider community.
The church is located in an award-winning school district and attracts many young families through its active children and youth programs. There are 300 active members, an average worship attendance of 120, and approximately 50 children enrolled in our pre-K
through 8th grade Sunday school. Our high school youth remain in worship and serve as worship leaders.
This is a full time, non-ordained position and we offer a competitive salary package ($45,000-$50,000 cash compensation plus benefits, commensurate with education and experience).
Weekend hours are expected.
Submit a cover letter, resumé, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.