Job Type: 30 – 34 hours a week
Compensation: $30,000 plus a beautiful home in the suburbs, all utilities paid
The United Methodist Church of Libertyville is a large, dynamic, Christ-centered church serving multiple communities in the northern Chicago, IL suburbs. We are people of all ages and stages who want to make a difference in the world by using the gifts and grace God has given to each of us. We believe God’s power and love are at work in the world and in our lives. We celebrate God’s presence in worship, we share God’s love in community and service, and we reflect on God’s greatness through study and meditation.
Our Mission is To Glorify God by Lifting Up Christ / Using Our Gifts / Ministering to All
Job Description - Overall Goal
The Youth Pastor is the leader of our Middle School and Senior High Youth Ministry. Our desire is to foster a positive environment for spiritual formation in the impressionable and formative adolescent years. We want to create a nurturing faith community of youth that will reach out to other youth and serve Christ in the world. We want students to know that they are loved and cared for by our faith community. We hope each young person will develop a positive understanding of who God is and a deeper appreciation for the love of Jesus Christ through considering his life, teaching, and example. We hope that each person’s participation in youth group will foster a life-long relationship with the Church and a deep understanding of what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. The Youth Pastor will help teach students the importance of worship, discipleship, fellowship and service. We want students to know that they are made in the image of our Creator, and as such, are children of God and are valuable.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Hold regular fun outside activities that will encourage students to get to know one another and grow in their friendships. (Retreats and mission trips included)
- Encourage youth to participate and help in worship, Sunday School and other church opportunities and events.
- Plan and devise effective strategies for recruiting new participants.
- Organize and plan the weekly youth ministry gatherings. This will be a time of fun, fellowship, and learning. The Youth Pastor will help youth address issues that have relevance to their lives using Biblical and theological resources.
- Develop appropriate small groups where students will feel comfortable asking questions and discussing their faith.
- Participate regularly and meaningfully in the Church’s Sunday School Youth program and ministries.
- Plan and run mission and service opportunities throughout the year.
- Organize a summer mission trip where students will be able to experience another culture while building friendships, serving others and being stretched in their personal faith. Examples: Appalachian Service Project, Mountain Top, Habitat for Humanity.
- Organize and plan the confirmation program in collaboration with the senior pastors. This will include planning parent meetings, field trips, mission projects and special events.
- Organize and plan the overnight Confirmation Retreat. This will be a team building experience to bring the confirmands closer together.
- The Youth Pastor will plan and collaborate with the senior pastors and other staff/volunteers in teaching the weekly confirmation class. This involvement will help ease the transition from Middle School to Sr. UMYF and help build strong relationships as youth transition into Senior High. Classes will utilize the approved United Methodist curriculum.
- Communicate regularly with youth and parents giving them necessary information regarding the youth ministry and events
- Communicate with the congregation about the Youth Ministry Program
- Recruit volunteers for events and ministry programs when needed
- Attend Administrative Board Meetings.
- Oversee and administer funds related to the youth ministry. Hold fundraisers to support the summer mission trip and other youth events.
- Lead and collaborate with the Youth Council and Director of Children/ Family Ministries.
- Manage Social Media and Youth page on UMCL website.
Education and/or Experience in Youth Ministry required.
CONTACT: Send cover letter and resume to Rev. Dr. Stephen C. Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Youth Pastor/DirectorThe Bridge
- Silver Spring, Maryland
- September 27
Youth PastorThe Crossing
- Chesterfield, Missouri
- September 27
Assistant Student Ministries PastorCalvary Reformed Church
- Ripon, California
- September 27
- San Diego, California
- September 26
High School PastorPinelake Church
- Brandon, Mississippi
- September 26
United Methodist Church Libertyville
The UMC of Libertyville is a dynamic, large, inclusive, warm-hearted, Christ-centered, child- and youth-friendly church. We are people of all ages and stages who want to make a difference in the world by using the gifts and grace God has given to each of us. We believe God’s power and love are at work in the world and in our lives. We celebrate God’s presence in worship, we share God’s love in community and service, and we reflect on God’s greatness through study and meditation. More...