Church and Role Profile | Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries
Lake Avenue Church is seeking applicants for the position of Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries. This document serves as an overview of the Adult Ministries position and describes the unique candidate we hope to find. This is not a formal job description.
About Lake Avenue Church:
Lake Avenue Church (LAC) is a 120 year-old Congregational church. We have a strong history of growth, vibrancy, and community engagement. We have an evangelical theology and value a diversity of thought and spiritual expression.
Our value for diversity is much deeper than worship styles and programs. LAC’s congregation and neighborhood represent a wide variety of ethnicities, socioeconomics, beliefs, and lifestyles, and we are passionate about reflecting this diversity as well as engaging with our diverse neighborhood. We desire to be an expression God’s Kingdom that is authentic to the teaching of scripture, and strongly connected with our community.
The Mission of Lake Avenue Church: Following Jesus, we participate in God’s reconciling work by making disciples of all peoples and generations. (Matt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:19-20)
Click here to see the Mission, Vision, Essentials, and Values of Lake Avenue Church. Lake is part of the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference.
Profile of the Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries:
The Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries portfolio consists of a variety of opportunities for spiritual growth and whole life discipleship for our community. Adult ministries include Community (Small) Groups, Adult Classes, Women’s & Men’s, Young Adults, Marriage, Second-half (55+), Connecting, and Care and Prayer. The successful candidate (male or female) will have the Areas of Focus and Qualities and Characteristics noted below. As a senior level position, the Associate Pastor functions as an ex-officio member of our Ministry Council (governing board).
Areas of Focus:
- Develop and implement an overarching philosophy of whole life discipleship – with outcomes directed toward spiritual formation, biblical education, cultural and social relevance
- Create and oversee a comprehensive strategy for community life – involving vibrant connecting ministries with both Adult Classes and Small Groups
- Collaborate to develop a culture of serving and volunteering, with a variety of ministry partnerships – work with staff and lay leaders to inspire involvement in church, community and global service
- Create and implement an overall strategy over the inventory of Ministries to Adults – lead and manage the complexity of Adult Ministry
- Provide leadership, management, development, and spiritual care for the Adult ministries department – including paid and lay leadership
- Enhance the weekend experience – work with staff and lay volunteers to enhance our process of welcoming, connecting, and integrating attendees
- Pastor a ministry area within Adult Ministries – specific to gifting and experience
- Perform Administration – Manage department staff, volunteers, communications, and budget
Candidates will possess the following qualities and characteristics:
- Love for Jesus and a passion to pastor people of all ages who possess a wide range of gifts, strengths, personalities and passions
- Proven ministry builder with demonstrated experience leading in a complex, culturally and socioeconomically diverse church
- Culturally, gender, socioeconomically and theologically savvy
- Demonstrated ability to be collaborative, creative, flexible, and a bridge builder
- Proven ability to lead, develop and provide spiritual care of staff and lay people
- A special desire to see young adults grow and flourish in their faith and connect in communities, and to see older adults inspired, active and connected in ministry
- Visionary leader who will listen, encourage, inspire, and unite others to do the work of the ministry
- Focused on the importance of connections, intergenerational ministry and church-wide volunteer service
- Passionate about scripture, with the ability to skillfully and effectively communicate the Gospel within a multicultural and intergenerational community
- Relational and social skills that include personable, approachable, encouraging, warm, fun, and emotionally healthy
- Solid administrative and organizational abilities without requiring extensive direction from others
- Demonstrates strategic agility and consistently leads with humility, teachability, discernment, and wisdom
Education & Experience:
Qualified candidates will have any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. One example of this would be (others will definitely be considered):
- Seminary degree in Divinity or Theology, or related field preferred
- Minimum 10-15 years in a ministry position involving adult discipleship
- Extensive experience in multicultural and intergenerational ministry
- Extensive experience of leadership and management of staff and lay leaders
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how your experience and skills qualify you in the noted Areas of Focus and Qualities and Characteristics.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and the qualifications of the individual. Candidates must be living in or willing to relocate to the Pasadena area.
Additional Information about Lake Avenue Church:
Lake Avenue Church has numerous initiatives underway. The Associate Pastor of Adult Ministries will be an important voice in the design and implementation of these initiatives.
Presently our worship services are Saturday evening and Sunday at 9am and 11am.
We have about 3000 Adults who worship each weekend with us, along with more than 600 children and students.
Adult Ministries includes: Full-time Pastors for the areas of College and Young Adults, Adult Communities, Second-Half Ministries, and Coordinator of Connecting Ministries; Part-time (staff and lay): Pastors and directors for Marriage, Women’s, Men’s, and Prayer Ministries; and ministry coordinators, assistants, and a large team of volunteers.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Operations PastorVertical Church
- Durham Area, North Carolina
- December 2
Church Planter in Central NebraskaInFaith
- central, Nebraska
- December 1
Associate Pastor for Community Connection and Life DevelopmentFBC Mableton
- Mableton, Georgia
- November 30
Associate MinisterAlliance for Transatlantic Theological Training
- 2 Blackburne Place, Not Assigned
- November 30
Executive Pastor of MinistriesBakersfield First Assembly
- Bakersfield, California
- November 29
Lake Avenue Church
Lake Avenue is an evangelical urban/suburban church with a history spanning over 110 years. Our culturally, racially, and socio-economically diverse congregation seeks to be a community that represents a Revelation 7:9 church. Lake Avenue Church is committed to the discipleship of 'each one' (Col 1:28) and is committed to the children families in our church and our community. Our long history, our goals and our congregational polity create a "messiness" where God's work is done and His Kingdom glorified despite (or because of) the visible and i More...