Student Ministries at GateWay Bible Church
Student Ministries at GateWay Bible Church is the collective oversight name given to Children’s Ministry, Middle School Ministry, High School Ministry and Young Adult Ministry. This department consists of four paid employees including a full time Student Ministry Pastor, a full time High School Director, a part time (28 hour per week) Children’s Ministry Director and a part time (16 hour per week) Administrative Assistant. The Student Ministries department currently receives 34% of our General Fund Budget.
We are located in Scotts Valley is a town of about 12,000 people. We are eight miles from the Pacific Ocean / Monterey Bay. Scotts Valley has numerous preschools, one Christian K-8 school, (Baymonte located on our campus), two elementary schools (Vine Hill and Brook Knoll), a Middle School of 600 students, a High School of 900 students. Thirty percent of the population is age 18 and under. Fifty percent of the people who attend GateWay live in the city of Scotts Valley. The remaining 50% live equally dispersed in the surrounding towns of Boulder Creek, Ben Lomond, Felton, Mount Hermon, Santa Cruz, and Soquel. Each week through our 5 Children’s classes and twice a week youth gatherings, counting our volunteer helpers, we minister to approximately 210 children and teens (though some teens may be double counted). We are reaching perhaps 3% of the youth population so we believe we have considerable room to grow. Especially since GateWay is the best resourced and positioned church in our city and half of our population comes from outside Scotts Valley.
When we think of our youth we acknowledge that our culture is dead set against them embracing Christ. We believe we must provide solid biblical teaching and insights for our students to help them think rightly about the world. Teaching a Christ centered world view is a high priority. We also acknowledge that youth will not just somehow find their way to our door. We must empower and train our existing youth to be bold and winsome in sharing their faith and freely inviting them to church and church events. This means our church must have value appeal to the pre-Christians. Experience has shown that when you combine faith, friendships, fun and food together good things happen. But we must never water down or minimize the impact of the Word of God, relevantly taught.
Parents too need help. We must never forget that the primary responsibility for raising the next generation of followers rests upon the parents. We are in a secondary role and thus supportive relations with the parents must be developed. Parents need to see themselves rightly and they must view us as a trusted, vital ministry partner. Like most areas, youth sports and frequent weekend trips out of town are present realities. With a high cost of living many parents claim to be too busy or too tired to add church ministry actives to their calendars. Prayer and teaching must converge to change opinions and actions so that Sunday morning and youth week nights are priorities and considered non-optional.
Our Student Ministries are currently structured as such:
Sunday Morning @ 9:30 & 11:00am
- Pre-K and K (Kingdom Kids)
- 1st – 3rd grade (KIDMO)
- 4th & 5th grade (Edge)
- Middle School meets at 9:30am
- High School meets at 11:am
Tuesday Night – “Real Life” Middles School Ministry meets
Wednesday Night – “Amplify” High School Ministry meets
Additionally we run a one-week Vacation Bible Camp, and winter camps and summertime mission trips or service trips for our youth. We also have many addition outings throughout the year. More information can be found on our website www.gatewaybible.org
Student Ministry Pastoral Profile – Qualities and Skills
- A person who is humble, teachable, approachable, transparent, hardworking and deeply in love with Jesus and the local church.
- A person, who through the interview process, will Integrity convince us that they possess the character of integrity, passion, courage, vision, judgement, empathy and emotional intelligence
- A team player who will productively work alongside the Senior Pastor as a member of the Pastoral Leadership Team and be submitted to the authority of our elders.
- A person who is certain of their calling from the Lord to Student Ministries; one who would consider themselves to be an “owner” not a hired hand.
- A person who will provide oversight to our children’s ministry, middle school ministry, high school ministry and young adult ministry. This includes the supervision of a children’s director, youth director and administrative assistant, and includes teaching the Word of God multiple times per week, primarily at the middle school level.
- A person with formal theological training and additional education in childhood development.
- A team builder who is able to recruit, train, develop, support and evaluate individuals who will serve and lead various aspects in all areas of the student ministries.
- The ability to dutifully manage multiple priorities while genuinely caring for people in the process.
- At least five years’ experience working directly with children, youth or young adults in a paid ministry leadership capacity.
- Must be able to effectively manage multiple ministry budgets.
- A person who embraces our pastoral staff expectations, including:
a) You and your spouse (if married) attending a weekly worship gathering at GateWay. Your non-adult children attend the age appropriate ministry we offer.
b) If married, your spouse is considered a high-level leader in the church and should be well-known, connected and established as a leader fully supporting the overall vision of the church.
c) A demonstrates a financial giving record to GateWay that represents both sacrifice and joy.
d) Attendance at all staff meetings, staff retreats and all church events all with the intent of developing connections with the staff, elders and members of GateWay.
e) As an important aspect of our ministry, you will be expected to be a model of Christian character and morality and be a witness in your testimony and your behavior of the life of Christ. You are to behave responsibly as a role model to our students and as a representative of Jesus Christ and GateWay Bible Church.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Youth PastorDeer Creek Church
- Littleton, Colorado
- September 30
Youth MinisterSlingshot Group
- Fremont, California
- September 30
Student Ministries DirectorChrist Church of Orlando
- Orlando, Florida
- September 30
Student PastorFirst Baptist Church Bloomfield
- Bloomfield, New Mexico
- September 29
Student PastorCrosspoint Church
- Saint Louis, Missouri
- September 28
GateWay Bible Church
GateWay Bible Church is located in Scotts Valley, a town of about 12,000 people. We are eight miles from the Pacific Ocean / Monterey Bay. Scotts Valley has numerous preschools, one Christian K-8 school, (Baymonte located on our campus), two elementary schools (Vine Hill and Brook Knoll), a Middle School of 600 students, a High School of 900 students. Thirty percent of the population is age 18 and under. Fifty percent of the people who attend GateWay live in the city of Scotts Valley. The remaining 50% live equally dispersed in the surround More...