About Journey’s Crossing
Journey’s Crossing is a growing church located just 30 miles outside of Washington, D.C. in bustling Montgomery County, Maryland. We are a casual, contemporary, Christian Church that serves people from several of the top 5 most diverse cities in the country. Our church is racially, ethnically, culturally, and socio-economically diverse, just like our community. We are a church that strives to love people of all ages and help them find and follow Jesus, but we unapologetically look to be a place where young families and millennials will find Jesus and community in Him. Meeting the needs of families with young children is essential to our strategy.
Journey’s Crossing is searching for a passionate and visionary Kidz Ministry Pastor/Director who will be responsible for the continued development and administration of the ministry for children from birth-5th grade.
The successful candidate will have experience with and passion for working in a multi-ethnic, socio-economically and culturally diverse community. He or she will have at least 3-5 years experience serving as Kids Pastor, Associate Kids Pastor, Kids Director, or similar position in a church of 800+.
Candidate must exhibit:
-A track record of successfully recruiting teams and developing leaders in a church of 800+
-Experience using Orange curriculum and investment in the Orange philosophy of family ministry
-Passion for partnering with kids and their families to help them take next steps to find and follow Jesus
Essential job functions:
-Successfully utilize and train team to utilize Orange’s 252 Curriculum, First Look, Lead Small, Go Weekly and the Parent Cue App
-Oversee staffing and scheduling of assigned volunteer roles for ministry area
-Provide weekly communication with volunteers gathering feedback, providing support, and communicating upcoming ministry specifics
-Actively recruit and trains Kidz Ministry volunteers for their ministry area
-Compiles and maintains volunteer files including background reports for their area.
-Create a sense of team, fun, increasing trust in Jesus, and relationship among team members
-Create and lead teams to oversee and implement two of our biggest outreach opportunities, Trunk or Treat and Easter Eggstravaganza
-Partner with other family ministry staff for long term, synchronized planning
Success in this position will be predominately measured by:
-Personal growth as a well-developed leader with a strong ability to inspire, recruit, mobilize, and reproduce other leaders
-A kidz ministry where children are authentically connected to each other, a small group leader, and their church
-Increased investment and acquired ownership among small group leaders and team members.
-Increasing evidence of partnership between parents/families and our Kidz Ministry
-Ability to be a team player who will work well relationally and maintain accountability with other staff
Kidz Ministry Pastor/Director
The role of the Kidz Ministry Director (KD) is to oversee the Kidz ministry strategy of Journey’s Crossing under the direction and leadership of the Lead Pastor. The Kidz Director is responsible for all aspects of supporting the spiritual growth and development of kids ages birth through 5th grade. This includes curriculum selection, volunteer and leader/coach recruitment and development, oversight of Sunday mornings, and operational management necessary to ensure successful and constantly improving weekend kidz services and periodic special events. This will require a ?rm grasp of the beliefs, values and strategy of Journey’s Crossing and the ability to align staff and key leadership teams with its mission, vision, strategies, and values. The KD will partner with families to lead kids to a genuine sense of belonging, involvement and spiritual growth at Journey’s Crossing by meeting kids where they are and leading them to next steps to find and follow Jesus. The KD will facilitate relational connection and spiritual growth of kids through weekend environments, small groups, and volunteer teams.
The Kidz Ministry Director will be responsible for the following:
1. Modeling Biblical Priorities:
Responsible for upholding Biblical priorities and core values of Journey’s Crossing. The YP should represent a growing personal relationship with Christ. The YP models a strong relationship with his or her spouse (if married) and children (if applicable). The YP strives to ful?ll his or her purpose in life and ministry while demonstrating integrity in words, relationships and actions. These objectives are accomplished by:
- Committing to a daily quiet-time with God.
- Participating in a Journey’s Crossing small group on a regular basis.
- Setting appropriate boundaries to protect character and integrity.
- Developing personal evangelism opportunities within and outside the church.
- Supporting the ministries of Journey’s Crossing by faithfully giving at least 10% of gross income.
- Committing yourself, your spouse and children to maintain unity in the church and staff team by acting in love toward other staff and their families, refusing to gossip about one another, and respectfully following the leadership of the church.
- Adhering to and encompassing the qualities and characteristics required of Journey’s Crossing employees, as de?ned by the Staff Handbook.
2. Leadership of Staff and Volunteer Teams:
Success in this role will be best accomplished by prioritizing an investment in ministry coaches and leaders who, in turn, in?uence their teams and the kids. Responsible for creating a culture that recruits, develops and empowers Kidz ministry leaders:
- Lead a team of volunteers in the operation of a Kidz ministry, including weekend services and periodic special events.
- Oversee systems for background checks, safety and security procedures related to volunteers
- Champion the Kidz ministry leadership development strategy.
- Develop and disciple leaders; create a culture of leaders who reproduce disciples.
- Direct the recruitment, training of, and vision casting to volunteers (including parents) as needed to create teams to facilitate weekly programs and special events.
- Provide staff and volunteer teams with current Kidz ministry best practices.
- Provide regular evaluations and feedback to coaches and leaders and team members as needed.
- Involve leaders and team members in monthly all-team summit meetings to cast vision, grow in community, and enhance communication.
3. Oversight and Execution of Weekend Environments: Responsible for creating programs that provide engaging experiences and life-changing environments for kids:
- Provide insight and direction for big picture programming and creative planning processes.
- Lead team to plan and execute Biblically accurate, culturally relevant and high-energy services for Kidz ministry participants.
- Provide opportunities for kids to discover their unique purposes and begin developing their talents and abilities.
- Select relevant curriculum, props, and games for weekend experiences.
- Ensure that check-in areas, ministry spaces and signage are clear, current and focused on new kids and their families.
- Produce videos, printed promotions, verbal announcements, web page information, marketing, etc. about kidz ministry at Journey’s Crossing.
- Create and maintain a safe, and well-staffed environment for kids, including those with special needs at Journey’s Crossing.
- Create a budget for every periodic event (in excess of $500 or 10 participants) and submit to LP for approval prior to event
4. Partnership with Parents and Families
- Design, plan, and conduct periodic parent meetings in order to meet the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Work and plan in conjunction with Youth Pastor and lead family ministry team to ensure alignment of life stage ministry areas and continue creating an Orange culture.
- Ensure that the Kidz ministry team strives to create partnerships with and provide remarkable “customer service” to parents and kids on a consistent basis.
- Create and continuously improve follow-up methods to ensure that new kids and their families are plugged in to Journey’s Crossing.
- Use social media as a key tool to enhance partnership with families.
- Implement a strategy to equip parents to help their kids take their next steps toward Christ.
- Design and plan periodic child dedication services and as required, meeting the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Implement baptism-related courses/conversations (First Steps for Kidz) to help students and families make decisions to become first time followers of Jesus.
- Encourage and facilitate leaders investment in the lives of kids, building relationships with them and their families in the most effective way possible.
5. Development and Casting of Vision and Strategy
- Set goals and tactics that help the kidz ministry be aligned with whole church discipleship strategies
- Create and manage a kidz ministry calendar comprised of activities and teaching that reflect whole church discipleship strategies
- Continually recast vision, mission, and strategies to volunteer team.
- Assist in the development of an annual budget for kidz ministries and manage spending to budget.
- Execute Kidz outreach efforts at Journey’s Crossing and encourage kids and families to participate in church-wide outreach efforts.
6. Oversight and Execution of Kidz Small Groups:
- Construct practical on ramps and systems to help kids move from visiting to belonging and growing.
- Develop a systematic and effective effort to integrate kids’ small groups into weekend environments. Develop leadership structure where kids have a consistent leader (and student leader where applicable) each week.
- Oversee information and tracking of small group participants and leaders.
- Actively encourage small group leaders to connect with families and kids during the week.
- Offer small group leaders curriculum, coaching materials and creative approaches to small group ministry.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Children and Family Ministry DirectorSt Luke Lutheran Church
- Gahanna, Ohio
- January 16
Children's Ministry DirectorMt. Olive UMC
- marion, Indiana
- January 16
Children's Ministry DirectorKempsville Presbyterian Church
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- January 16
Youth Pastor/DirectorChrist Community Fellowship
- Walla Walla, Washington
- January 15
Children's DirectorGreater Mt Zion Baptist Church
- Austin, Texas
- January 13