Jefferson UMC seeks qualified candidates for the position of Director of Music. Persons applying for this position should have strengths/competencies in the following:
- Passion for making disciples of Jesus Christ
- Choral Music education and worship music leadership – Masters desirable
- Strong familiarity and agreement with a convergence model of worship – combining the historic and the contemporary at every level of worship to create maximum opportunities for engaging worshipers with the presence of God (c.f. Cherry ,Constance. The Worship Architect. 248. Also, The Calvin Institute of Worship)
- Strong background in ancient and modern hymnody, including contemporary and global worship song repertoires
- Preferred Instrumental competencies: piano and/or acoustic guitar
- Strong vocal competency
- Theological training/certification desirable
- Team building/development and team-based ministry
This is a full time position including cash salary, housing and benefits. Person interested in applying should contact, Rev. Dr. Dan Bilkert, dan@Jeffersonumc.com
CHURCH MISSION: (para. 120 UM Book of Discipline)
The mission of Jefferson UMC is “To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
OUR METHODOLOGY/PROCESS TO CARRY OUT OUR MISSION: (para. 122 UM Book of Discipline)
- Proclaim the gospel, seek, welcome and gather persons into the body of Christ;
- Lead persons to commit their lives to God through baptism by water and the spirit and profession of faith in Jesus Christ;
- Nurture persons in Christian living through worship, the sacraments, spiritual disciplines, and other means of grace, such as Wesley's Christian conferencing;
- Send persons into the world to live lovingly and justly as servants of Christ by healing the sick, feeding the hungry, caring for the stranger, freeing the oppressed, being and becoming a compassionate, caring presence, and working to develop social structures that are consistent with the Gospel; and
- Continue the mission of seeking, welcoming and gathering persons into the community of the body of Christ.
THE GLOBAL NATURE OF OUR MISSION
The Church seeks to fulfill its global mission through the Spirit-given servant ministries of all Christians, both lay and clergy. Faithfulness and effectiveness demand that all ministries in the Church be shaped by the mission of making disciples of Jesus Christ. (para. 123 UM Book of Discipline)
OUR LOCAL VISION: Our vision is to honor Christ's command to go into our community and make disciples, by accepting all, affirming all, and transforming all into the likeness of Jesus.
To effectively accomplish this we shall:
- Create clear pathways to a radiant life of faith, hope, and love rooted in Christ and the local church;
- Use our prayers, presence, gifts, service and witness in ministry to others;
- Initiate relationships and build friendships with others where, and as, they are;
- Connect and involve our church within the fabric of the greater community.
This shall be accomplished through faithful devotion as led by the Holy Spirit.
CULTURAL CONTEXT OF MINISTRY
The Village of Jefferson, Ohio is the County Seat of Ashtabula County located in the north east corner of Ohio. Our ministry area is roughly a five-mile radius from our Church facility, 125 East Jefferson St. Jefferson, OH 44047. Within this radius is a population of over 8,400 people. The median age is 43 and average household income is just under $63,500.00. The Jefferson Area High School (9-12) has 488 students. The Jefferson Area Junior High (7 -8) has 288. Jefferson Elementary has 600 students (K-6).
Jefferson UMC has a membership of 430 with an average worship attendance of 200 and median age of 57. There are two worship services, 8:30 and 11am on Sunday mornings. The first service features an adult choir and a congregation that loves to sing. The 11am service features a music team and utilizes a repertoire of mostly baby-boomer music. The congregation demonstrates openness to and enjoyment of a variety of music genres. The Church features a fully restored pipe organ and newer baby grand piano. JUMC has a rich tradition of ministry to the greater Jefferson area. Ministries of compassion and justice have been birthed and spun-off into separate 501 C-3 entities. Spiritual formation through Disciple Bible Study, Alpha, and other offerings have provided abundant opportunities for individuals to mature in their following of Jesus. With the appointment of Pastor Dan Bilkert, the Church entered into the Healthy Church Initiative and has made significant progress toward a new lifecycle rooted in our mission, vision, and strategy to bless our community. Essential to our strategy is a staffing realignment that will equip Jefferson UMC to do the following:
- Pursue an emphasis on excellent worship music that is both inspirational and educational
- Create music opportunities for our community’s children and youth that will meaningfully bless and thus draw people to a journey toward and with Christ and Jefferson UMC.
There is an air of excited expectation, that God is doing something new in our midst. We believe this position represents a portion of that divine movement.
GEOGRAPHICAL CONTEXT OF JEFFERSON
The Village of Jefferson is located one-hour east of Cleveland and 11-miles south of Ashtabula and Lake Erie. Jefferson lies in the midst of vineyards, maple syrup farms, the Grand and Ashtabula scenic rivers, the Wester Reserve Biking Trail and the scenic shoreline of our Great Lake. Within an hour drive one will find the cultural centers of Severance Hall, home of the renown Cleveland Orchestra, Play House Square, The Cleveland Museum of Art, The Natural History Museum, the Cleveland Botanical Garden, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, The Greater Cleveland Aquarium, The Cleveland Zoo, professional sports venues (including the NBA Champion Cleveland Cavaliers), Universities, world-class hospitals, and an array of metro parks and foodie haunts.
DIRECTOR OF MUSIC
- A. Foundational Understandings:
- Worship Music, in its diverse genres, celebrates and tells the story of God’s redeeming grace at work in the church and the world. Worship music is a gift to God, inviting the whole congregation to offer their lives fully to God. Music thus nurtures the
congregation’s relationship with the Triune God and God’s call to be his disciples.
The heart of the musical vision of our church is that all God’s people, in all our diversity, sing our praise to God together. On a Sunday morning, led by the choir, organ, piano and our music teams, we raise our voices together in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. (Eph.5:19)
Praising God together with all that we have at our disposal–voices, organ, piano, drums, guitars, trumpets, bells, and other instruments–our sounds blend and fill the sanctuary in an expression of the unity of the Body of Christ, the richness of our theology, and the beauty of God’s kingdom. As part of the global church, we sing old songs, new songs, and songs from churches in other parts of the world.
- B. Reaching Our Jefferson Community With and Through Music:
Our mission and vision calls us to effectively connect with our community. The Director of Music position flows directly from conversations with community leaders and should be viewed first as a missional i.e. sent to bless the community position.
Through the aforementioned conversations we have learned that the high school band is the “heart and soul of the high school” and demonstrates the greatest involvement of parents. The band director, “Mr. B,” anticipates 140+ students in the 2016 fall marching band season. We also know that the choral program, at the junior and senior high schools is seeking to grow. In a recent interview the high school principle noted a young man who loves singing but “He gets into trouble because he doesn’t have enough to do. If he had more music to focus on that would be so good.” In addition to these realities there is currently no holiday music program offered in the elementary school level due to fiscal cutbacks.
We believe that music is a missional doorway into the lives of children, youth, and their families. As a new staff position, the successful candidate will play a role in developing the full scope and details of this position. The following offer both malleable ideas and more concrete expectations.
- C. Position Specifics
- a. Reaching Into the Jefferson community – blessing the community
i. Work with the Jefferson High School band and choral directors
- With the choral and band directors, discern how your education, experiences, gifts, and passions can best align with choral and/or band needs
- Develop and implement a plan to utilize your education, experiences, gifts, and passions on behalf of the band and/or choral program
ii. Liaison with elementary school for holiday program
- Work with the Senior Pastor and Children’s Ministry Leadership Team
- Assist in strategizing the various servant leader positions needed for the Holiday Concert Team
- Assist in recruiting and equipping the Team
- With the Team, lead rehearsals
- With the Team, lead holiday concert performances
- b. Bridging youth into the worshiping life of Jefferson UMC – being invitational
i. Integration of youth with choral and music ministries of JUMC
- Through relationship development invite youth to share their talents through the JUMC choir, instrumental and music teams, and special music. Our goal is to integrate youth with the wider life and mission of the Church through a variety of possible options/combinations
- Option #1: integrate youth into Chancel Choir and other existing music teams
- Option #2: Create and lead Youth Choir (JUMC has a well-remembered Youth Choir ministry which peaked in 1997 and ended in the early 2000s)
- Option #3: Create a youth worship team (vocalist and instrumentalists)
- Option #4: Create a Jefferson Community Youth and/or children’s Chorus
- Work with the Senior Pastor, adult choir director and organist to develop music fitting the theme of Sunday worship and that are engaging, high quality, and expressive of the reality of God so that we offer consistent opportunities for worshippers to experience God
- Developer and primary leader of 2nd service music team
- Coordinate all musical groups for Sunday worship
- Create annual schedule for all choirs, music teams, and special music
- Offer musical leadership to enhance the 8:30 Sunday worship
- Primary music leader for 11am Sunday worship
- Develop and equip current and new non-paid servant leaders who can assist with and help grow our music ministries
- Keep abreast of the latest musical styles, both Christian and secular
- Keep abreast of current musical styles as expressed chorally
- Keep abreast of artistic expressions that assist people to experience God’s presence and truth
- c. General oversight of children and hand bell choirs
i. Keep training other leaders to grow their choirs numerically and in quality
ii. Create performance schedules
- d. Overseeing worship technology training and scheduling
i. Demonstrate competency in current visual presenting software
ii. Provide training for new and existing Tech Team members
iii. In time, give this ministry responsibility away to someone who has the competencies and vision for its importance
- e. Bridge to the Youth Ministry Leadership Team
i. The Youth Ministry Leadership Team is tasked to implement the vision and mission of JUMC as it pertains to the Jefferson Jr. High and Sr. High youth populations
ii. As the Director of Music position places you in the lives and culture of Jefferson youth this position plays a bridging role between unchurched youth and the JUMC’s Youth Ministry Leadership Team
iii. As needed and requested by the Youth Ministry Leadership Team the Director of Music will assist with strategizing and promoting youth ministry effectiveness.
- To flourish, know that ministry is hard and there is always more you can do…but choose not to do
- To flourish, practice spiritual disciplines
- To flourish, participate in accountable community
- To flourish, divert daily (whatever relaxes), withdrawal weekly (Sabbath) and abandon annually (disconnect completely)
Salary, housing, and benefits, including health insurance, vacation, and pension will be discussed in follow-up interviews
Thank you for reviewing, considering, and praying over this ministry position.
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Director of Music/Musician (Youth & Young Adults)Private Profile
- Houston, Texas
- January 20
Worship LeaderMountain View Presbyterian Church
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- January 19
Worship LeaderBethany Christian Reformed Church
- Bellflower, California
- January 19
Director of WorshipTrinity Evangelical Presbyterian Church
- Florence, South Carolina
- January 19
Worship PastorGeneration Church
- Mesa, Arizona
- January 18