Job Title: Pastor of Student Ministries
Ministry: Middle School and High School
Purpose of Position
- To create, staff and lead a Middle School and High School program that will lead students to pursue a life consistent with the principles of God’s Word, and the mission statement* of our church.
- Maintain an active ministry for the reaching, teaching and discipling of youth for Jesus Christ
- Encourage the growth of spiritually healthy believers by providing pastoral care and biblical teaching, geared toward the life and learning styles of the typical Middle School and High School student.
- A born again believer with a growing and active relationship with Jesus Christ.
- A call to the ministry of Jesus Christ.
- Qualified for ministry leadership based on 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1.
- Acceptance of and agreement with the church’s statement of faith and constitution and by-laws.
- Commitment to the church’s mission of winning and discipling people for Jesus Christ.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- Evidence of spiritual and emotional maturity
- Support of the doctrinal beliefs, constitution and by-laws of Calvary Evangelical Church
- A genuine love and understanding of youth
- Evidence of leadership, organizational and administrative abilities
- Training and experience in the field of youth ministry
- Evidence of personal and financial integrity, and moral purity with marital status in accord with biblical standards
- Administer and supervise all of the church’s youth ministries- currently including but not limited to weekly large group and small group gatherings, Middle School and Senior High Sunday School classes, activities, camps, outreaches and trips
- Instruct and motivate youth in developing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, growth toward spiritual maturity; developing a Bible-centered world view and a personal responsibility to serve others in the name of Jesus.
- Provide pastoral care to the youth and their families
- Provide training and encouragement to volunteer youth leaders
- Submit an annual budget for the youth ministry needs and endeavor to work within the approved budget
- Giving assistance in areas of ministry as directed by the Lead Pastor (hospital visitation, funerals, weddings)
- Assist in the worship service of the church as directed by the Lead Pastor
- Preach as requested by the Lead Pastor
- Accomplish duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor
The Pastor of Student Ministries will work under the direction of the Lead Pastor, or his designee, and is expected to follow the mission, vision and direction of CEC; meet with the ministry staff regularly to ensure the youth ministries are following the
direction of CEC; develop and maintain a cooperative working relationship with the youth staff, leadership, and the parents of the youth.
The Pastor of Student Ministries shall receive an evaluation by the Lead Pastor at least once a year to consider the progress of the ministry and financial considerations for the coming year.
*Calvary Mission Statement attached
CEC MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
MISSION: What we are to do: To Win and Disciple People For Jesus Christ
This is taken from Matthew 28:19,- what has been called, The Great Commission: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…” We are to go and make
disciples- a disciple is one who follows his teacher, is committed to his life and teachings and who strives to be like him. So, a disciple of Jesus Christ is one who follows the Lord Jesus, studies His life and teachings in order to be like Him.
VISION/PURPOSE: How will we do it: Equip(disciple) individuals to LOVE GOD, LOVE OTHERS AND SERVE IN THE WORLD
as we strive to reach the far from God (win).
This is our vision at Calvary- to enable and equip people- be more and more like Christ as we love Him, present Him to others and serve both inside and outside the church in order to reach those who are far from God.
VALUES: These are what drive the decisions we make in the implementation of our mission and vision.
BIBLICALLY TRANSFORMATIONAL –
Our goal is that every life is continually transforming to God’s standard as seen in scripture.
Romans 12; II Corinthians 3; Romans 5:1-11; Romans 8:18-30; James 1; Philippians 3; Ephesians 4:17-24; II Timothy 3:16-17
CULTURALLY RELEVANT/EXTERNALLY FOCUSED –
We must understand that we are here in a specific time and specific place and must understand and leverage the culture to teach and reach the far from God. Go where they are, communicate in their language and serve their felt need in order to meet their
ultimate need. It is not about meeting my need (desire) but to communicate in a tangible way to the culture around us.
I Timothy 1:12-14; John 1:1-14; Luke 1:26-37; Matthew 9:9-13; Matthew 21:28-32; Luke 19:1-10
We will understand their need and lovingly help them see themselves as God see’s them. We will not mask our failures nor will we allow them to continue. We will accept and care for people where they are but will not be content to leave them there.
John 4:1-26; Matthew 8:1-4; Luke 17:11-19; John 21:15-19; Luke 9:57-61
Our goal must be to use the resources God has entrusted to us and leverage it for the kingdom. They are not mine to use as I wish, I must evaluate how they will be used most effectively for the kingdom.
Matthew 25:14-30; I Peter 4:10; Acts 2:42-47; II Corinthians 9:6ff;
I have read the job description, church mission, purpose and values statement, and the church constitution. I understand them and am willing to comply with them and serve Calvary Evangelical Church in the capacity of Pastor of Student Ministries.