Baker Memorial UMC (http://bakermemorialchurch.org/) is seeking a person who perceives a vocational call to lead Christian Formation ministries for youth. The Director of Youth Ministries is a full-time staff position responsible for creating an environment
of spiritual growth for 6th through 12th graders. This includes being in ministry directly with youth, calling others into ministry as volunteers, vision-casting in connection with overall church vision, being a part of the church staff
team, and guiding work area leaders. The Director of Youth Ministries will also need to coordinate and collaborate with other staff members, other church programs, and members of the Youth Council. This position will require flexible hours, including Sunday
mornings, weeknights, and some full weekends/weeks for retreats and mission trips.
The Director of Youth Ministry will be responsible for overall guidance and implementation of a multi-faceted program that includes spiritual formation, education, mission, service, fun and outreach for middle school and high school youth. Current youth
programming includes weekly Sunday school, Confirmation, monthly youth activities, and an annual High School mission trip. Areas to expand include weekly youth group, youth small groups, annual retreats, and middle school missions.
- A heart for youth and a personal passion for Christ
- Wesleyan faith understanding
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Christian Education, Sociology, Education, Theology, Child Development or other closely related field or commensurate experience.
- Experience in recruiting and working with volunteers
- Ability to plan in advance and communicate via multiple communications channels
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and social media platforms (FB, Twitter, etc.)
- Confidence and creativity to envision and suggest new ideas, with humbleness to accept the ideas of others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Awareness of the struggles and faith questions of modern youth and a desire to be inclusive to all youth with their various skills, talents, and personalities.
- Affinity for Baker Memorial’s vision of being a vibrant church for a modern world
- Willing to become certified in youth ministry with preference given to those with/seeking Deacon’s orders
- Willingness to implement Safe Sanctuaries program for youth
Baker Memorial’s ideal candidate would also demonstrate:
- Ability to help adult and youth volunteers grow in faith as they teach, disciple and lead others
- 2+ years of experience working in a paid position with youth in Christian formation
- Experience in effectively handling multiple projects in an organized and efficient manner
- Experience leading and forming teams to build sustainable, growing ministries for youth
- Experience in mission trip planning and retreat design/implementation
- Desire to participate in denominational youth ministry forums
- Experience in seeking out and introducing Christ to people unfamiliar with Christian faith
- Youth ministry vision, values and activities aligned to the Church’s vision and values
- A vibrant youth oriented, faith based community established within the church
- Youth are growing in faith, connection to the congregation and leadership roles
- Strong relationship between the youth council, the staff, volunteers and Church Council.
- Growth in the youth participation