Fairport United Methodist Church is seeking a part time (30 hours), experienced, energetic, charismatic and faith-filled Youth Ministry Coordinator to build upon and strengthen a comprehensive Youth Ministry program in an established 550 family congregation
in Fairport, New York.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Promote and maintain the vision of the youth ministry, staying consistent with the vision and goals of FUMC. Seek out and meet youth, sharing their joys and concerns, challenging their spiritual growth
by planning, conducting, coordinating, evaluating, selecting and providing resources for the church’s ministry to youth;
2. Build relationships of integrity with youth, meeting them where they are on their faith journey, that become the basis of meeting needs, sharing Christ, and involving youth in peer ministry with others in the church and community;
3. Coordinate all aspects of the Middle School and High School age Sunday School classes, (including working with the Sunday School Coordinator to recruit leadership) and ensuring there is a time of study of scripture or principles derived from scripture
(various material and age appropriate styles of presentation are encouraged) and that youth are encouraged to participate in various outreaches, ministry opportunities, etc.;
4. Coordinate all aspects of the 6-12 Grade Youth Group, ensuring there is opportunity to develop fellowship, spiritual formation, discipleship and the experiencing of Christian community. Various material and age appropriate styles of presentation
5. Meet with the Youth Council monthly to schedule, plan, and carry out all youth ministry activities. This includes delegating appropriate responsibilities to members of the Youth Council and other volunteers and youth to carry out parts of those plans.
Enlist adult and youth to participate in a Youth Council.
6. Develop relationships and maintain regular communication with parents of participating youth. Coordinate calendar of events and activities relating to service, social, spiritual development, using social media and other technology.
7. Coordinate roles and responsibilities of volunteer leaders of the Sunday School Class and Youth Group. Provide support, encouragement, Christian community and spiritual nurture for volunteer youth workers through leadership retreats and regular prayer/support
1. Prepare, submit, and administer a youth budget and annual goals for the church fiscal year in consultation with the Youth Council, ministerial staff and Committee on Finance, and submit to the Church Council;
1. The Youth Ministry Coordinator shall meet with the Senior Pastor for clarification of the vision for this ministry, strategic planning, and for guidance, prayer and support. (This may also be done through phone contacts and email.)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Educational Requirements
- A personal commitment to following Jesus and growing in their personal Christian faith as well as a strong desire to serve within and outside the church; an engaged participant in services – minimum of twice per month;
- A sense of calling to youth ministry;
- Ability to work with youth and young adults;
- A willingness to be a community presence/representative of the church;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide complex projects and spontaneous activities related to youth ministries;
- Competence in basic lay counseling and listening skills appropriate for youth ministry
- Make appropriate care referrals when necessary
- Willingness to work cooperatively with others, to maintain a positive outlook and disposition, and to be flexible in solving problems;
- The ability to protect the reputation and integrity of others through strict confidentiality. Refraining from indiscriminately sharing personal information is critical. Discretion must be exercised when dealing with the public, youth and their parents,
and the church’s leaders and members;
- Completion of college-level or higher course work in Christian Education and/or Youth Ministry, and/or comparable experience is desired.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit cover letter and resume, including salary requirements to:
Fairport United Methodist Church is committed to the policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability,
genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.