Job Title: Executive Pastor
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Classification (exempt or nonexempt): Exempt
Grade / Level (If applicable): N/A
Supervises (If applicable): N/A
Position summary: The Executive Pastor role is designed to work in coordination with and reports to the Senior Pastor. The Executive Pastor reduces the number of direct reports to the Senior Pastor and thus is responsible for the overall
leadership and direction of church staff, leading all functional areas in the accomplishment of the church’s mission under the direction of the Senior Pastor. The Executive Pastor is also responsible for overall leadership of the tactical execution of NRCC
strategy, business development, staff development, staff training and operational performance. The Executive Pastor will be a non-voting member of the Overseers.
- Experience as a senior leader in a church or corporate business environment.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Management, Technology, or other related field is desirable.
- Master’s work in Biblical studies is a plus.
- Must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, financial acumen and significant understanding and experience in church leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategic plans, foster teamwork, train staff, and organize and execute programs around allocated resources.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Support the Senior Pastor in the accomplishment of the church’s mission through ministry effectiveness evaluation, discernment, decision making, planning and overall direction of church staff.
- Lead the ministry staff in the establishment and ongoing direction of ministries that effectively reach the church’s demographic, insuring the accomplishment of the overall mission.
- Ensure the operational readiness of the church through leadership and oversight of the support staff performing duties in administration, communication systems (CCB), finance, human resources, volunteer development, supply, and facilities management.
- Facilitate the annual strategic planning process including evaluation of ministry performance; review of mission, vision, and core values; development of key objectives and tactics; and establishment of three year goals.
- Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures (KPMs) that provide the Senior Pastor and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church.
- Develop annual financial plans that fund the accomplishment of the strategic plan and meet critical financial objectives such as established cash reserve levels.
- Oversee future church extension or satellite efforts, including development of a strategy, networking with other church planting focused churches for funding and provision of other needed resources as well as identification, development, and leadership
of lead church planters.
- Champion the development of infrastructure by all ministry and support areas that supports healthy, long-term growth of the church.
- Lead the church’s building programs including capital fund raising campaigns, master planning, design and architecture, contractor selection, and construction.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must follow all church policies and procedures
Non-essential skills and experience:
- Proficient in problem solving
Success factors/job competencies:
- Team player is very important
- Ability to multi-task
- Organizational skills
- Critical thinker
- Responsive and ability to keep your cool in stressful situations
- Positive attitude and work ethic
Physical demands and work environment:
- Physical demands: While performing duties of the job, occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk
or hear. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up semi-heavy materials/equipment. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment:
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to very loud
- This position is very visible and highly influential. The performance requirement and the example setting criteria must be very high. Annual review of work performance. Attainment of annual goals established between the Senior Pastor and incumbent.
General sign-off: the employee is expected to adhere to all church policies and procedures while employed.
Please note: This job description does not represent a contract for employment, yet indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities and other essential functions (as covered under the Americans with Disabilities
Act) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of an incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
SEND COVER LETTER AND INQUIRIES TO: Gary Drinkwater at firstname.lastname@example.org