This is a full-time position. With the direction of the Lead Minister, The Student Minister is responsible for all aspects of ensuring the spiritual growth and development of middle and high school students.
This includes but is not necessarily limited to: leadership of weekly programs and periodic special events (camps, conferences, trips, service projects, etc.), and operational management necessary to ensure a successful and constantly improving ministry
Essential Job Functions
- Contribute to the vision of the church, work within the bounds of, and cast vision.
- Set a standard of excellence in the Student Ministry that parallels the Children’s Ministry, create and maintain accountability amongst staff members, and facilitate the successful collaboration of the Student Ministry and Children’s Ministry.
- Prioritize relationships with families; be reasonably available for, and willing to mentor parents and children.
- Lead a team of volunteers in the creation and operation of the Student Ministry, including weekly services and routine special events.
- Plan and execute biblically accurate, culturally relevant, and high-energy services for students.
- Create and manage a Student Ministry calendar that will drive all the activities and teaching of the ministry.
- Direct the recruitment, training, and development of volunteers as needed to staff weekly programs and special events.
- Develop and disciple a group of student leaders.
- Implement student registration, program management, and security policies/practices in support of weekly services and special events. Collaborate in the development and implementation of pre-teen ministry programming with the Children’s Minister.
- Cast vision for, teach, and organize conferences, camps, and retreats for students. This may include, but is not necessarily limited to:
- Organizing registration
- Music selection
- Development of messages/teaching
- Utilization of games and other artistic elements in the inspiration of students in learning about God.
- Serve a critical role in the church’s Upward Basketball program. This may include alignment with the church’s outreach strategy, oversight of the program’s leadership team, operations of weekly practices and games, and management of operating expenses.
- Design, plan, and conduct periodic parent meetings in order to meet the needs and expectations of families attending the church.
- Lead the creative use and proactive upkeep of Student Ministry facilities and grounds.
- Assist in the development of an annual budget for Student Ministry and manage spending to budget.
- Function as a member of the church’s pastoral staff performing baptism services, weddings, funerals, etc. as part of a rotation schedule.
- Serve as a member of the preaching team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience as a staff member in a student ministry leadership capacity. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Biblical studies or related field is required. (Extensive ministry experience, in some cases, can
be substituted.) The successful individual will be a strong leader with a solid work ethic, possessing a passion for preaching to students and the ability to administrate as a department head. A working knowledge of creative programming related to student
programs and special events is beneficial.