Director of Music (Part-Time)
Trinity Covenant Church
A strong vocalist who can accompany him/herself and lead congregational singing, as well as lead an ensemble of musicians and singers, is being sought as the part-time Director of Music for a growing congregation in NJ. We’re a commuter community for New
York City with a diverse and ambitious population; our congregation is diverse in age and growing .
Our desire is to find a sincere worshiper who will gladly lead this congregation in hymns and praise choruses and who will be excited to extend the congregation’s range of worship experiences as well as to grow member musicians. This individual leads a
worship team consisting of about a half dozen singers, as well as a guitarist, bass player and drummer, plus other musicians from time to time. The Director of Music would also lead worship as a soloist when appropriate, and hire additional musicians when
appropriate and approved.
This position calls for 6-8 hours a week of preparation including a small amount of meeting time with the pastor, Sunday worship at 11 a.m. (10 a.m. in the summer months), worship ensemble rehearsal (currently at 9 am, Sundays), and extra services as they
occur throughout the church year (eg, Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, etc.).
Required qualifications include being able to...
- Lead worship both as a soloist and in an ensemble
- Read sheet music and lead sheets
- Comfortably sing and play piano simultaneously
- Play piano in both contemporary (jazz and/or pop) and classical styles
- Sight-read sheet music, especially when evaluating new music with Pastor or other singers/instrumentalists
Preferred qualifications include being able to...
- Teach and lead ensembles of singers and instrumentalists
- Maintain live and recorded audio setup for the sanctuary
A Bachelors or Masters degree in music and familiarity with Christian hymnody and contemporary Christian music are preferable, but not necessary.