Children, Youth & Family Pastor
Shepherd of the Mountains
68 Fairfax Drive
Murphy, North Carolina 28906
Contact: Rev. Al Beck Providence1707@gmail.com
Shepherd of the Mountains is a young (3+ years old), non-denominational church in Murphy, North Carolina that is seeking to invite people into God’s Kingdom and to nurture their faith. “Family” is important at Shepherd Church and so we do everything we can
to celebrate & support families and are trying to weave a sense of family into everything that we do. We are seeking an associate pastor of Children, Youth & Family Ministry who will help lead the process of developing holistic ministries to families!
- Preferably a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, but commensurate internship/mentoring track and real life experience also acceptable.
- A strong passion for nurturing the faith of children, youth and their families.
- A vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Able to lead Youth in worship (musical giftedness a plus)
Big Picture Job Responsibilities:
- Create a culture of “Faith in the Home.” Equip parents to be the primary developers of their children’s faith.
- Create a culture of “relevant faith”
All staff work together to help people integrate their Christian faith with every area of life.
- Create a culture of connectedness. Help every child (and adult) have a sense of belonging and purpose within the larger church family.
- Create a culture of outreach. Help every member, young and old, embrace their calling to love their neighbor and to join Jesus Christ in his redemptive mission.
- Coordinate & Supervise Children’s Ministry programs (Nursery – 5th Grade).
- Direct an innovative and effective ministry for Youth (6th Grade-12th Grade)
- Plan & coordinate Family Ministry Events
- Recruit, equip, and encourage volunteers
- Equip & encourage parents to take an active role in the spiritual development of their own children.
- Choose & implement curriculum based on staffing and children’s needs.
- Manage the Children & Family Ministry budget.
- Participate in staff meetings and staff devotional times. Be a great team mate – working together with other staff to help the church thrive in all areas.
- Actively build relationships with families outside of Sunday mornings and regularly scheduled events.
- Be an active part of the larger life of the church.
- Organize Sunday morning volunteer leadership so as to allow everyone (including yourself) to participate in worship at least twice a month.
- Partner with the SR. Pastor, “Faith and Family” Deacon, and all staff to accomplish this mission/ministry.
Other Possible Responsibilities
As a new church, we expect all our staff to contribute in ways that go beyond their immediate job. There are ministry moments that simply require “all hands on deck.” Additionally, we strive to help our staff find ways of serving that match their own passions
and interests. Those responsibilities will be determined in conversation based on the interests and skill sets of the person we hire.
Some of the possible additional areas of responsibility might include:
- Community outreach / local missions
- Church wide communications
- Video production & other media development
- Managing online content (website, Facebook, twitter, etc.)
- other administrative functions
- Volunteering in the community.
Our Staff Culture
We work hard to have a flexible and supportive staff structure. All of our pastoral staff get the chance to share in worship, including preaching from time to time. All of our staff (paid & volunteer) work together to help each other succeed. Our staff plays
well together! If you can imagine yourself working on a team like that, we’d like to hear from you!