DEPARTMENT: Family Ministries
SUPERVISOR: Rev. Kristine Aragon Bruce, Associate Pastor for Family Ministries
PURPOSE/MISSION OF THE POSITION:
- Equip students to be lifelong disciples of Jesus Christ who participate in Christ’s mission in Glen Ellyn, surrounding communities and the world.
- Recruit and empower volunteers to be ministry partners in the discipleship of our students.
- Integrate students into the greater life of First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn.
- Thoughtfully and creatively balance ministry to the “nones,” “dones” and “wons” (ie The non Christians, the disaffected Christians and the intentional Christians).
Specifics of the Role:
- Lead the day-to-day operations of student ministries focusing on students 6th-12th grade.
- Engage students where they’re at both physically (ie their sporting events and plays) and spiritually (provide safe places to learn more about faith in Jesus Christ)
- Equip volunteers to be in relational ministry to students.
- Be the lead teacher during the mid week ministries for middle school (TNT) and high school (LIVE).
- Lead and collaborate in partnership with volunteers for all Sunday ministries.
- Organize retreats, special events and mission trips.
- Continue to add to and build upon the existing team of adult volunteers.
- Collaborate with the Pastor for Family Ministries key ministries to parents.
- Supervise, equip and empower Student Ministries Intern.
Students are Equipped
- Students can articulate what it means to have faith in Jesus Christ and live lives transformed by having faith in him.
- Students are Biblically literate.
- Students understand what it means to have a rich personal prayer life and the importance of praying with others.
- Students are participating in a small group, attending worship and engaging in mission.
- Students’ worldviews are expanded beyond affluent suburban culture via participation in ministry and mission.
- Students are sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with their friends.
- Numbers of participation at the senior high level will double in 2-3 years.
- Recruit and empower a Student Leadership Team.
Students are integrated into the greater life of the Church
- Director will help students have meaningful connections with at least 3 adults who are not related to them.
- Director will seek to engage students in Sunday morning worship through participation and leadership.
- There is intentional communication to the wider church all that is happening within Student Ministries.
Volunteers are Equipped
- Volunteers understand and implement the concept of “relational ministry.”
- Volunteers are equipped to lead small groups and connect with students through formal training and timely communication.
- Lead and develop in collaboration with volunteers all Sunday morning ministries including Confirmation.
Partnership with Family Ministries Team
- The Director of Student Ministries will be an effective collaborator with the Associate Pastor of Family Ministries, the Director of Children’s ministries and the Director of Westminster Preschool.
- Parents know they have a partner in the Director for Student Ministries as they seek to disciple their son and/or daughter as a follower of Jesus Christ.
- Collaborate and strategize with the Associate Pastor for Family Ministries ministries to parents and when appropriate volunteers
Who We Are
First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn has a rich history of engaging in both local and international mission and justice ministries. There is also a long history of equipping people for a life long journey of discipleship through participation in Bible study, small groups and mission. We are a growing PC(USA) congregation with an emphasis on both discipleship and outreach and are looking for someone to minister to youth through the same lens. Having wrestled through issues at both the denominational and congregational level, FPCGE is a church that has remained a family centered on Jesus Christ. We are a church that desires to see individuals of all ages serve along side one another in what God is already doing in our church, our community and beyond.
Who We Need You To Be
The Director of Student Ministries needs to be someone with a deep and growing faith in Jesus Christ, who possesses a high view of Scripture, and who is intentional with personal prayer and Bible study. While gifted at relational ministry, the Director of Student Ministries is emotionally mature and has healthy boundaries with the students to whom she/he ministers. This director understands relational ministry and easily connects with youth and has an understanding of current youth culture. He or she knows and humbly accepts his/her “growing edges.” The Director of Student Ministries attends worship and is periodically involved in worship leadership at First Pres.
Qualifications: College degree, 2-3 years of youth ministry experience (preferably in the same church or ministry), familiarity with the PC(USA) and the Reformed tradition is a plus.
Compensation: A competitive compensation package will be offered based on experience.
All resumes and cover letters can be submitted to Marsha Mead at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn at www.firstpresge.org
To apply for this job opening, please first post your resume.
Student & Young Adult PastorChurch Unlimited
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- September 24
Youth MinisterPrivate Profile
- Alpharetta, Georgia
- September 24
Lead Student PastorMount Ararat Baptist Church
- Stafford, Virginia
- September 23
Pastor/Director of Youth MinistriesFirst Covenant Church
- Salina, Kansas
- September 23
Youth / Worship PastorVictory Temple Assembly of God
- Jasper, Indiana
- September 23
First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn
First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn has a rich history of engaging in both local and international mission and justice ministries. There is also a long history of equipping people for a life long journey of discipleship through participation in Bible study, small groups and mission. We are a growing PC(USA) congregation with an emphasis on both discipleship and outreach and are looking for someone to minister to youth through the same lens. Having wrestled through issues at both the denominational and congregational leve More...