Morningside Church & Academy
Port St. Lucie, Florida, United States
Evangelical Friends – (Doctrine based on Wesleyan Thelolgy)
1501 to 2000
Job Description: Youth Pastor
Morningside Church is seeking a Youth Pastor with proven experience leading a vibrant student ministry in a vibrant local church. The ideal candidate will be a strong communicator, encourager, and team builder. He or she must be able to embrace the current
vision, strategy, and structure. However, he or she must also lead their team into the future by helping them identify opportunities and navigate change. The right candidate understands that the keys to successful, long-term results in ministry are: living
a life of spiritual integrity, having a genuine growing relationship with Christ, creating and maintaining a healthy ministry team, and partnering with parents.
Expectations, Attitude, and Character:
• A personal and growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ
• The ability to embrace and champion the vision and values of Morningside Church.
• The ability to support the Senior Pastor both publicly and privately.
• A desire to partner with other ministries and pastors within the church.
• A contagious passion for family ministries; helping both parents and students grow in their faith.
• The ability to see the value and potential of every student.
• The ability to see challenges as opportunities and the desire to help students navigate this difficult and oftentimes painful phase of adolescence; the desire to point them to God for direction, healing, and restoration.
• An expectation and plan for keeping students engaged with God and His church after graduation.
• The ability to stay calm under pressure and be able to de-escalate challenging situations.
• Competence in administration; maintaining a calendar, managing budgets, record keeping.
• Candidate should be familiar with social media outlets like Instagram, Twitter, Skype, Blogs and willing to use them to communicate with parents and students.
• Candidate will be reliable, trustworthy, a self-starter and a self-manager.
• Candidate will be able to embrace innovation and adapt quickly to growth and change.
• Candidate will use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
• Candidate will be sensitive of special needs students and partner with parents of special needs students.
• Candidate will keep current on issues related to safety, security and local reporting requirements in the case of abuse or rape. The Student Pastor will also keep up to date on local resources like hotlines, shelters, counseling and recovery centers.
• Candidate will work to continually improve the safeguards in place for the protection of the students entrusted to our care.
• Oversees all ministries for students 6th-12th grade.
• Continually evaluate and develop our programs for increased effectiveness.
• Develop and maintain a weekly discipleship program for students.
• Coordinate and oversee weekly student worship services, small groups, the student band, outreach events, service projects, leadership retreats, camps, and missions trips.
• Continually recruit and/or appoint new volunteers and provide ongoing training.
• Should be comfortable counseling students (baptism, salvation, behavior, relationships, loss, etc.).
• Coordinate with leaders to visit students in the hospital and attend birthday parties or events like graduations, when possible.
• Partner with other ministries for church-wide ministry events like VBS, fall festivals, pageants, etc.
• Responsible for Student Ministry budget and financial oversight.
• Oversee the selection and implementation of curriculum.
• Teach at midweek student worship service.
• Develop the Student Leadership Team and provided opportunities for them to do ministry.
• Coordinate camps, field trips and service projects for students and parents.
• Partner with our own Morningside Academy by offering afterschool discipleship and speaking at various events throughout the year.
• A willingness to partner with local schools and para-church organizations to help reach students outside our church walls.
Education, Experience and Proven Skills:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; Graduate Degree is a plus.
• 2-3 years of full-time paid Student Ministry experience in a church with more than 500 in weekly attendance.
• Experience teaching 100+ students on a regular basis is a plus.
• Experience at a church managing a team of 50+ volunteers is a plus.
• Must have experience managing an annual budget of at least $10K.
• Competence with document and spreadsheet software is required; web design, sound, lighting, graphics or video expertise is a plus.
• Must have a track record of recruiting and developing volunteers and identifying leaders.