First Baptist Church of Los Angeles
Interim Director of Worship Arts
First Baptist Church of Los Angeles (FBCLA), a historic, urban, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-generational church near Downtown Los Angeles seeks an Part-time Interim Worship Minister/Director to lead the Worship Arts Ministry through its current period
of transition and transformation. This role is an interim role that could lead to a permanent role in the future. The primary function of this role will be to promote and implement the vision and values of the church as it relates to enhancing worship gatherings.
The successful Interim Worship Arts Director will use the various elements of worship to bring the congregation into God’s presence, and encourage and guide worshippers. The ideal candidate will have proven experience assembling a team of people who will use
the worship arts to creatively proclaim the gospel, thereby making disciples and bringing glory to God. This prospect will hold a bachelor's degree in a related field such as Music or Worship, with 3-5 years of experience leading worship in both traditional
and contemporary settings. A bachelor's degree in a related field such as Music/Worship is a preferable requirement for this position.
- Serve as the principal architect to plan and coordinate the worship needs of the congregation in coordination with the vision of the pastor and the Choirmaster/Organist of the Cathedral choir.
- Engage the congregation with a mix of current and traditional songs (blended worship) with a style that stays true to current trends in Christian music including utilizing a variety of instruments and arrangements a well as leading the congregation in prayers,
Bible readings, giving greetings or instructions. In addition, incorporating youth into all aspects of the worship service.
- Identify, recruit and empower persons who are gifted and whom god may be calling to serve in the contemporary worship band and worship team
- Oversee the work of the media volunteers by scheduling and training the volunteers to create an excellent environment for worship.
- Drive the creative development of all worship services including worship order, use of video, songs, media and lights
- Train and coordinate volunteer liturgists and musicians
- Lead other worship services when needed such as funerals and seasonal worship services.
- Help to develop other music ministries (youth, children’s choir, music camp, VBS, etc).
- Meet with Pastor, Music Ministry and other Ministry Leaders to plan and director the worship/music vision of the church
- Attend various ministry opportunities to network with and support First Baptist Church family members
- Other duties as assigned
- A developing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Ability to articulate and model a theology and philosophy of worship
- Ability to work with diverse people at all levels and communicate effectively
- Degree in Music or Ministry or comparable professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in worship organization and leadership in a church setting
- Knowledge of and appreciation for a broad spectrum of traditional and contemporary styles
- Strong stage presence and vocal ability
- Exceptional musical ability in guitar and/or piano, vocals, and ability to creatively arrange music
- A self-starter, committed to excellence, experience recruiting, training, and empowering volunteers for ministry