ASSOCIATE PASTOR OF STUDENT MINISTRIES
Great Oaks is a church where we encourage you to take your next step towards God. Each ministry or event such as our services, outreach, next steps, teaching and evangelism is driven by that vision. Moving from death to life, seeing people saved by Jesus
Christ, helping believers grow as disciples—the Christian life is marked by taking that next step towards God.
This is best expressed by this statement: We as a church exist to engage people and help them STEP IN to a relationship with Jesus Christ, STEP UP into authentic spiritual maturity, and STEP OUT to use their SHAPE to engage and minister to people in the
We are a church that has effective and growing children's and student ministries along with a network of adult small groups which meet throughout our area.
We are located in the growing community of Germantown Hills in central Illinois. Germantown Hills has one of the top public school systems in the state of Illinois and is known as a great community in which to raise a family. We are approximately 10 minutes
from Peoria which is the headquarters of Caterpillar International.
We are looking for a person to join our staff team as a full-time Associate Student Pastor. The person will partner with the Lead Student Pastor to provide leadership and oversight to ministries related to junior high school and high school students. This
person will work with the Lead Student Pastor to recruit, train, and develop servant leaders, both adult and youth, who will intentionally reach out to and help youth take their next step towards God while also providing support and training for the parents
CHARACTERISTICS OF CANDIDATE
1. A Mature Faith in God: Which is exemplified by a passion for serving Christ and using their
gifts in His service.
2. Agreement with our Basic Beliefs: See church beliefs statement. http://www.greatoakscc.org/new/beliefs/
3. Good Student Ministry Abilities, Credentials, and Experience: A Bachelor’s degree is
preferred. Student ministry experience preferred.
4. A Leader: One who excels at recruiting, developing, and training ministry teams. Most of this
person’s work will be accomplished through motivated ministry teams. This person can handle
conflict with clear communication and grace.
5. A Student of “Youth Culture”: Must be well-versed in the various aspects of youth culture,
able to understand what students are thinking, and be able to speak their language.
6. A Gifted Communicator: Must be able to communicate to students in a way that is
captivating, biblical, and applicable.
7. Technologically Literate: Must have a good understanding of how to use technology to
communicate in a youth ministry context.
8. A People Person: A good listener and problem-solver who can help others develop a
strategy for success in their ministry.
9. A Team Player: Believes in the purposes and strategy of Great Oaks and primarily finds
satisfaction in making others successful.
10. A Hard Worker: Ministry at GOCC requires the ability to handle a lot of work and multiple
responsibilities. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is organized and manages their time well.
RESPONSIBILITIES (In partnership with Lead Student Pastor)
1. Provides effective junior high school and senior high school ministries.
2. Recruits, trains and mobilizes student and adult leaders for Student Ministries.
3. Provides balanced programs of evangelism and discipleship including Bible instruction,
relevant worship, small groups, relational evangelism, service, and personal discipleship.
4. Creates an atmosphere throughout Student Ministries where both students and leaders
connect and build meaningful relationships.
5. Regularly communicates with students & parents to help them understand both current student
culture and the vision & strategy of Student Ministries.
6. Makes sure that all policies related to working with youth as minors are acknowledged and
7. Maintenance of regular office hours
8. Attendance at staff meetings
9. Other assignments as directed
The Associate Student Pastor will report to the Lead Student Pastor.